• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

2-knowledge...

Started by cabbage, Jul 12 2019 11:29

« previous - next »

cabbage

There is a lot of fine sawdust despite the vacuum cleaner connection to the band saw! All the interior spacer panels and the two end pieces have been cut. I spent a horrible morning cutting out the nose panels and chaindrilling the windows and box holes. But I can now begin sticking window frames onto holes!

Now that I have the 3mm ply I can start cutting them into strips to see if my carriage cutter -works...

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Cowardice prevails and I have taken the advantage of the good weather to start steel fabrication. The plans say to drill and nut everything together  - but to be honest I am thinking of arc welding it all.  I haven't done any low amperage stick welding in a few years and this would serve as a refresher. The steel channel (off the shelf at B&Q) is a good 1.5mm thick and should take about 80amperes to weld.

Let you know later!

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Ok.... Metal too thin for my rods that I have... However good old SIFbronze has saved the day!

Now it is back to sawing twenty 20mm lengths of U section to make the spavers from!

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Having slit sawn the sides of the two parts of the loco the next thing on the horizon -is paint... I have plenty of the pink primer for the loco but the question is should I paint it  in Malachite and Primrose or simply drown all the details in Endsleigh Olive...

I know what I would like to do - but given the amount of trees and bushes the Malachite and Primrose would need constant "touching up"...

But still...

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

The internal partituons of the first emu are setting on the kitchen table. This is actually the easiest model that I have ever made from plans and to be honest I would say that it would make a great "first one" for any prospective G3 builder. I do have some issues with the plans as they are typical hodge podge of metric imperial and ME...

But you can get around that quite easily.

Regards

Ralph

John Branch

Ralph, I see that the partition sides are straight-does the prototype have no tumblehome or is the coach profile to be carved/printed to incorporate one?
John

cabbage

The tumblehome is a 6mm section of pine quadrant that is stuck to the sides of the baseplate. The sides of the emu rest on this. B&Q shopping on Monday afternoon!

This is where I am at the moment. The vertical compartment ends have been set to the base plate and the stretcher of 6mm sq pine stuck into the grooves. Some "persuasion" with tape to take out the bows have been used. This is how it will stay until Sunday afternoon.

Time fora cup of tea and a few nice gages!

Regards

Ralph

Doddy

John,

Ralph is correct in that the sides are essentially vertical until the bottom section where the tumblehome is.

Doddy

"You don't know what you don't know"

cabbage

Ok... Having looked at my collection of SLA bricks -yes it is possible to fit a std 6v 4.5Ah brick into the guards compartment along with all the rc  and esc gubbins. But with an SLA all the plates are at the base, thus for good balance I would either have to align it longitudinally - or have two in opposition... The other alyernative is for me to build my own NiMH battery pack from tagged "C" cells. This will work our a lot more messier than a simple brick.

What has surprised me is the "skinnyness" of the 2-nol. When placed alongside the LMS coaches they look really undernourished!

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

After some more and a few gingernuts to aid thinking.... I am going to use two 6V SLAs located one in each guards compartment. I am thus going to power only the end two bogies. Connection between coaches will be via 6mm DC plugs and sockets. Hardly to scale -but correct in operation. One set will link the two batteries and the other set provide PWM to the two power bogies. Having examined the scraps left over here is probably enough to make a third carriage. This could be MU'ed to either of the ends of the 2-nol providing either a third power bogie or an independant unit. Some switching will be required as the lone unit will need to self isolate when in MU mode. To quote US parlance "it's a slug".

The first coat of pink primer has been put on the external surfaces. I am using Craftmaster paints and their super barbie pink primer is almost visually lethal. The mid green primer and SR  Malachite are on order. I plan to paint the rooves in Primrose Yellow more as a visual aid at a distance than historical accuracy!

upload

Regards

Ralph

Doddy

A Sunshine roof? Are you going to have a black triangle painted on it to denote the Guards area?
"You don't know what you don't know"

cabbage

Tea break. Today was one of those wonderful days when you find out the spacing information for the partion walls on the plans is 1mm out. The creep has pushed partition walls into the window frame area...

I am now left with two options,

Paint the windows black or white or something?

Cut the windows as drawn and use translucent glazing and hope the partion walls don't show?

All the printed window grame etc fit like a dream. The overall effect does look very LNWR like to my eyes(?)

Suggestions gentlemen please - I am going to sup my mug of tea and go gage hunting.

Regards

Ralph

Hi Ralph.

You should go back and correct the partition walls, or I promise that you will always regret it. this important model deserves to be right.

Good luck.
Robert. 492.

cabbage

Far too late for that! The partitions and supports are all set and fixed. The only way of getting the partitions in the correct place is by starting from scratch again...

I am going to paint the windows black and on the next pair ignore the plans!

Regards

Ralph

NB cable routing and control plugs for MUing two sets (or more) is already installed.

John Candy

QuoteSuggestions gentlemen please - I am going to sup my mug of tea and go gage hunting.

Wartime!

Blackout regulations/a few broken windows boarded with metal sheet/ply and the remainder taped with brown sticky paper or a sticky mesh (blast protection against flying glass fragments).

Southern stock suffered heavily during the "Blitz".

Regards,
John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.