• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

2-knowledge...

Started by cabbage, Jul 12 2019 11:29

« previous - next »

cabbage

These are the bogie side plates. The inner one carries the axles and the outer one carries the pickup shoes. I have yet to work out the reaction control arm for the motor. This is going to be the same motor as used (nicked) by the Apple Tree Railway...

regards

ralph

cabbage

Having been released from confinement... I have got 8mm silver steel bar which is my normal "locomotive" axle. This is bause yhe Bull gear is normally 8mm bore. I plan to run the axles in 8mm bore ball races. The plans as provided by "Locomotive Design" show a rigid suspensionless bogie. What I intend to do is mount the inner plates as compendated with rigid outer plates. This will give some form of "easement" to the bogie as all four wheels will be constantly in connection with the rail. A simple Z wire spring will hold and control the axles when not in contact with the rail.

At the moment I am awaiting the epoxy on the lathe screw handle to set. I got tired of it unwinding and comming off in my hand. This even after loctite green...

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Slow but steady Sunday! Most of it having been spent "line boring" wheels, sprockets and home printed driver bosses.

Getting the PLA parts cool enough to use a reamer on -proved challanging. Eventually I kepr the reamer in the freezer and then fitted it before cutting.

The boss supports and drives the last wheel
There will be an electrical take off from this wheel that will couple to the bull gear wheel. Thus both gears have to be insulated from the rest of the bogie. Both the bull gear and driver boss will be M4 bolted to the wheel. The M4 bolts will be tagged to the length of 15mm gas pipe hel on the boss and bull gears. A simple springy strip makes the connection.

This will hold the NC side of a relay open and as connection is broken as it passes over a fish plate the blue and white leds "arc"!

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Having got a few things out of the way...

This is the progress it may look strange but it is the careful thinking of a madman(!)

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Now that I have a little time again... The loco underframes are made from U channel steel. The ends are partially sawn and the ends bent over. The pieces are then rivetted to the end stop. The two outer lengths have 5mm sq key pieces hammered in. The key pieces are then brazed in place providing a unified frame.

The last shot shows the EMU body mounted on two carriage bogies. This gives me a "view" of the finished model.

I have a few bills to pay and get my Son to Keele for his 2nd year - so looking at it will be all I can afford!!!

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Here are the templates for the centre tie plates and the bogie saddles. These have been stuck to the sheet of 2mm BMS. They will be rivetted to the U section frames to provide a rigid frame.

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

A few hours later... I knew that it had taken a lot out of me but really!!! Here is the first of the frames rivetted together and awaiting the finishing of the second frame before I braze the lot solid. I have very few 3mm stainless steel pop rivets left so this could be a holding point...

Time for tea and sarnies!

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

The frames have been brazed together despite the rain. After some "whanging" with a hammer to straighten out a few bends caused by the sagging cherry red hot frame it has been bolted to the base of a coach unit with eight M3 nuts and bolts.

The next part of the job is to daub red oxide over the frame prior to fitting the lazy susan swivels for the bogies. Something tells me that the underframes and bogies should be "red oxide" rather than black - but I don't know why(?) Similarly I have seen "Southern" stock with Primrose Yellow" rooves... Maybe it is my failing eyesight but Aluminium Grey would be much more soothing!

The eight bogies have been ordered from MEL. I hope that they can read the dxf files that I have sent them.

Regards

Ralph

John Candy

Ralph,

I lived near Wimbledon from 1948 until 1962, near Morden 1963 to 1969 (both South-Western section) and near Battle (South Eastern section) from 1969 to 1982.
I never have seen a Southern train with oxide underframes/bogies nor a yellow roof (a lightly oxidised/sulphurated white lead paint may turn yellow before going black).

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

cabbage

John,
I don't dispute your knowledge... But I am still stuck with the feeling that they should have red oxide with aluminium grey rooves! It is the same level of feeling that I got when I painted the black 5 in crimson lake. The *YES* that I fealt was phenominal - it looked "right" despite being "wrong"...

So I will stir the tins and see what we shall see(?)

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Well I stirred the pots and the combination of red oxide and malachite does look very good. The next problem I have is simply silly! There is *nowhere* in my collection of drawing and books an example of of an SR third rail pickup shoe and assembly!!!

Anyone got one???

Regards

Ralph

Doddy

Class 501 EMU, SR Types not much different.

"You don't know what you don't know"

cabbage

I have started building the rear non powered bogies. These are cobbled together from G3S carriage bogie plates, aluminium extrusion and a lazy susan bearing and worktop securing brackets - all pop  rivetted together...

The other side of the susan will bolt to the bogie saddles. I have ordered the rivnuts that will hold the M4 bolts.

"Thought Objects" have been played with the produce the idea for the pickup shoes and how the LEDs will fit to them.

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Another coat of mid green is drying. Time to start the wiring.

In a couple of days the model has careered along - now that I am feeling better!

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

This is the start of the test fit of the wiring. The DC connectors have been fitted using a step drill and the cable grommets fitted using a twisted screw driver... After some thought I have decide to wire with 6A cable as this is flexible enough to bend realisticly between the car sets but heavy enough to take the current.

Regards

Ralph