Author Topic: 2-knowledge...  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Peaky 556

Re: 2-knowledge...
« Reply #90 on: Oct 04 2019 11:28 »
Ralph, those right-angle plugs look a neat and practical solution to multiple units of all kinds.  Can you kindly detail what they are called, rating, No. of poles, etc?
Thanks, Tim

Offline cabbage

« Reply #91 on: Oct 04 2019 14:19 »
Tim,
They are std DC two pole safety connectors. The central pin is +ve. They are dirt cheap and easy to find on eBay or a certain shop...

I have been busy whilst the bread bakes etc and these are the results:

The first shot is a trial assembly to check that the gear positions are in the right place (another £60 if hey weren't)... The main bull gear bolted to the wheel, the two intermeadiate spur gears all fit on their "axles", or nuts and bolts...

The next shot shows the first test assembly of the bogie plates. The roller races for the main axles have been "persuaded" to fit and or stay in...

The last shot shows the blue led strip stuck to the inside of the shoe carrier. The "sensing equipment" (!) will light them as the bogie crosses the join in the track.

When coupled to a 12V line theybare quite bright!

Regards

Ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #92 on: Oct 05 2019 13:01 »
There is a saying in Finland "always put the last match in the box - in a new box"... Aftet having come home from normal Saturday Duties I have bust two M3 serial taps on the chain sprockets - and the were Colbolts too!!! It has got to be were the soft steel has the hardened layer on the boss of the sprocket...

This shot shows the trusty Proxxon drilling holes into the sprocket and yes I will need to order more 2.5mm TiN drills(!)

The sprokets have been test assembled and the test bogie moves freely and with little effort with finger power on the M4 intermeadiate shaft.

Regards

Ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #93 on: Oct 06 2019 10:38 »
Having got a chassis in test form I can start measuring some componants for final assembly! I have decided to use the "Cannon" motor from my local electrical shop. This motor cost £1.40p and sita half way between my normal motor £0.90p and my power motor £2. I has a projecting rear stub which is either for a flywheel or probably some form of rotation counter / sensor.

It is 30mm dia and will hang off the central 6mm bolt that is the xentral strut of the bogie plates. After a couple of minutes with the CAD system the motor mount emeges as a simple double ring. The motor ring is 10mm high with the support ring being 15mm high.

It is going to take about 2 hours to print at this "infill" -so while it grumbles at no "double time" I will go and make Sunday Lunch!

Regards

Ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #94 on: Oct 06 2019 15:34 »
It is now tea time! The printer has squirted a couple of motor mounts...

Yes it does resemble a Lucas dynamo - but we all have to get our inspiration from somewhere.

Regards

Ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #95 on: Oct 11 2019 13:01 »
Four days later... The printer has made all four sets of motor mounts. This morning has been taken up with brazing the chassis parts together. These are the main central 6mm bolt  and the corner brackets. I will have to drill out the 2mm bolt holes that got obscured with silver solder - but this was expected.

Once over with the wire brush and painting them Red Oxide can commence.

Regards

Ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #96 on: Oct 11 2019 19:21 »
This is the LED light bar at about 6pm this evening. It is "limpit taped" to the inside of the outer frame plate.

The pickup shoe will sit in the gap and hopefully it will look like an arc being struck between the shoe and the third rail.

Regards

Ralpg

Offline Andy B

« Reply #97 on: Oct 11 2019 21:23 »
An arc that bright looks enough to blow the shoe fuse, Ralph!

Offline John Candy

« Reply #98 on: Oct 12 2019 12:45 »
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Arcing_pickup_shoe.jpg

This looks a quite a bright flash from a LT unit.

I must say that my memory of flashes from 4-SUB units is of them usually being more yellow-orange in colour, with a shower of orange/red sparks (molten iron no doubt), particularly in wet weather.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline Doddy

« Reply #99 on: Oct 12 2019 15:24 »
I can't wait for Chadderton Heights to receive some snow and ice when the 2-NOL is operational.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ6PqpCbsLE

Junipers . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szA3rsdvqv4

LIRR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6ZKIsUYM2s

Bachman 4-CEP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHj9PgeIZes

"You don't know what you don't know"

Offline cabbage

« Reply #100 on: Oct 12 2019 17:47 »
I try to make it as realistic as possible! The arcing will only occur at rail joints and be intermittent. The big blue strip will provide the majority of the flash but there will be flickering orange yellow leds as well.

Regards

Ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #101 on: Oct 12 2019 19:14 »
 This is roughly the effect at 7pm this evening. The led strip is in the right position. The two flickering orange yellow Leds are still in the packet!

Regards

Ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #102 on: Oct 15 2019 12:39 »
The parts for final assembly are starting to arrive. The most awkward of which is the 2m length of chain that will be chopped up and connect the two axles in each power bogie. It is 6mm chain and thus far too small for the splitting and joining equipment that I have to hand - for motorcyle chain.

It looks like I am going to have to fabricate or bodge some form of chain tensioner as the "ideal" join leaves quite a lot of slack. Wether I use a slipper or idler wheel I have yet to decide and I will probably do this after I have cut and joined the links. A slipper is by far the easiest - but an idler wheel give you far more control.

Hmmm(?)

Regards

Ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #103 on: Oct 19 2019 14:24 »
Being a vile taskmaster the household robots have had no rest! Here is the bogie mounting plate. It is basically a series of rectangular blocks filled with 80% fresh air. Despite this they are quite strong.

The 3mm and 8mm holes were "designed in". Why have a CAD/CAM machine and do it your self??? I have yet to try the chain breaker -this may be something for Sunday afternoon(?) It seems dangerously frail machine compared to the one I have for Duplex motorcyle chain...

Regards

Ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #104 on: Oct 19 2019 15:59 »
I was right about the chain splitter... However a quick kiss with the angle grinder the link fell apart. Here is the shot of the completed bogie unit.

The othet bogie has been pressed into service for a rough assemnly shot. It looks very high but a quick once over wih the steel rule shows it to be correct. I assume once the under carriage brick a brack has been added it will even out(?)

Time for tea and a well earned gingernut (or five) to dunk into it.

Regards

Ralph