• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Stanier Brake Third coach body

Started by MikeWilliams, Jul 15 2019 10:02

« previous - next »

MikeWilliams

This is for sale by somebody well known on this forum, but I'd never heard of it and it looks superb to me.  What a great start for making a useful coach.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gauge-3-2-gauge-Stanier-LMS-Brake-3rd-Coach-Shell-Parts/362700352884?hash=item5472a02d74:g:tEMAAOSw0dpdKuGs

Why can't we get body shells made like that now?

Mike

Doddy

Why can't we get body shells made like that now?

Probably the expense of manufacturing vs the potential selling price.

Personally I was taken in by the Kippo models MKI coach kit until I saw the assembly video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MF2NOQqLzM

Although the eBay advert shows a Tenmille Gauge 1 worksheet, the bodyshell is specially made by an experienced engineer under a commission.  ;D ;D ;D

And delivered by Hermes . . .   :( :( :(

Description:

On offer, a very unusual steel shell and other parts for a Gauge 3 (2 ½" gauge) LMS Brake 3rd coach.  This is a Stanier 'Period 3' coach.

When the Gauge 3 Society first started in around 1990, I had a rake of these LMS coach shells made by an experienced engineer.  The basic shell is 20-gauge galvanised steel with the ends welded in.  The rain strips are brass soldered on and the perspex windows are held in by BA screws with nuts on the inside.  The screw heads will need filling and sanding down.

I sold all the coaches, some finished and some not in the late 1990s but was lucky enough to come across one of my original shells a few years ago, this is it. 

The shell is offered with a plywood floor, detail parts for the coach, underframe parts and coach side detail such as vents and the guard's lookouts.  There is also some reference information on the Stanier LMS Brake 3rd to help the buyer complete the model.

You will need to source bogies, other parts and build the underframe to complete the coach; hopefully that is fairly obvious.  The shell is just as it was when delivered to me some 29 years ago – it's almost vintage!

This will make a fine coach for any gauge 3 layout, either finished in LMS or BR Midland livery.  It is very well packed in stout cardboard, delivery will be by Hermes, fully insured.
"You don't know what you don't know"

MikeWilliams

I suspect the vendor will be along here soon and tell us all ... but, in the meantime, looks to me like separate sides, roof and ends tack welded together.  My guess is they were stamped out.  With modern cheap laser cutting that method can't be too expensive, surely?  It is used by Tim Kraay, isn't it?

But only suitable for modern flush sided stock.

I will be amazed if that doesn't sell within in a coupe of days.

Mike

I have had success with coach building using styrene in G1, I don't foresee any problems scaling up to G3
If anyone is interested, I could make plain sided coach bodies.

Mike

MikeWilliams

Very nice indeed Mike.  I have used Plastikard in 4mm and 7mm but am wary for larger scales.  Call me a luddite, but I like some metal in there somewhere.

Mike

John Candy

I don't have a problem with the concept of plastic (the old style GRS wagon kits have thick plastic card bodies without any problems) but a "thin-wall" large area subjected to the heat of the Sun in a garden environment may be subject to softening/deformation ..... no such problem with an indoor/exhibition line.
It may be an unnecessary worry..... I have a Cricut "Maker" die-cutter and experimenting with cutting both card and plastic coach parts has been undertaken with encouraging results but lack of time to deal with the preparation of the cutting files has put it on the "back burner" for present.

Large/thin areas of resin cause me similar worries when exposed to heat and my preferred material would be punched or laser-cut aluminium or brass but both need an investment of time which I cannot provide at present (the commercial producers require CAD files which I cannot produce).

I am collaborating with another G3S member at present and investigating the production of LNER (and pre-group company) stock by employing a third party to produce the CAD files.

Collaboration with one-or-more G3S/G3forum members would be an ideal way forward but in the past my "feelers" have met with a lack of positive response.

Perhaps a new "team" can be forged to bring together expertise in different materials/methods and produce a plan?

Regards,
John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

classicdelights

I suppose I better tell you something about it.  As per the eBay listing, I had a 10 coach rake of shells produced in the early days of modern gauge 3.  I cannot remember the chaps name after so long but he was a very experienced engineer from somewhere in the Birmingham area.  I cannot remember how I located him as he had never had anything to do with model railways.

The shell is made on the same lines as the gauge 1 shells that are produced in aluminium, that is a flat sheet with both sides and roof as one piece and the windows punched out.  The coach shell is rolled to form the roof and tumblehome, this is obviously the tricky part, hence the need for an experienced metal worker.  Once all that has been done the ends and bottom angles were welded in (I like strong construction).  The rain strips are lengths of brass strip and these are soldered on.  The windows are lengths of Perspex, care of the RAF, the strips were all cut by some of the students on a flying training course where I was an instructor, they could clearly see the advantage in doing this!

I finished a number of these coaches during the 1990s but all were eventually sold when railway modelling dropped off the radar for a few years.  They do turn up from time to time, I know one members has 2 or 3 which all come as they were produced, I don't think there can be any more unmade ones after this one.  I have attached a picture of some of them - in Dubai!

All the best

Phil

Traininvain

A guy at the Midland Garden Railway Show back in March had 2 or 3 of these on his stand

I think his details are:

All Components, Upper Owlbury House, Upperowlbury, Montgomery, Powys, SY15 6SZT: 01588 638678,  allcomponents@btinternet.com, www.allcomponents.co.uk

Ian

MikeWilliams

Thank you Phil.  If you were doing those 30 years ago you will be a real loss to Gauge 3.

Stanier is well out of my period but I am so tempted, that somebody please buy it soon to put me out of my misery!

Mike

Doddy

Quote from: MikeWilliams on Jul 16 2019 17:29
Thank you Phil.  If you were doing those 30 years ago you will be a real loss to Gauge 3.
Mike

I dont have any use for a Stanier coach, but there is a lot to be learnt from the construction techniques and materials used to be of direct benefit to the G3 community.

Well done Phil!

John Candy

Ebay auction has ended and the Stanier Bke 3rd body hasn't sold.

John.

UPDATE: Just received Ebay message saying it has been re-listed (took a look and starting price as before... £60 + £9.50 shipping).
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

classicdelights

Surprised me as well, still there must be so much available for gauge 3 nowadays that an old coach shell holds little attraction.  Not the same years ago when anything offered was snapped up.

Interestingly, now I am in the process of selling all my railway equipment, most of it has gone to people who are not Society members through eBay.

Better luck this week perhaps!

All the best

Phil

John Candy

This afternoon, I received message from Ebay saying item "no longer available" ...... but when I looked it shows auction as having another 5 days to run.... there have been two bids and price now stands at 62GBP.

Very confusing.....can only assume message was a delayed notification regarding the previous listing!
If you have received a similar message and were/are interested, don't be deterred!

John.

Doddy

The ebay listing restarted at 16:28 so the "no longer available" message is as you say, likely sent for the original posting.