• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Gauge3 0-4-0 coal fired Saddle Tank

Started by main131, Feb 07 2010 23:14

« previous - next »

main131

Picture shows the fire box of the 0-4-0 Saddle Tank seen running at Thurnby on the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujs_8ZIZsqA

The lever below the (full ) water glass is the blow down release valve. To the left of that is the cylinder draincock handle. Push forward on starting to get rid of (some of the condensate (oil steam and water). Above the fire is the closed regulater lever and to the right is the open firebox door.
The bar on the footplate is the end of the 'pricker' lodged to hold the door open for the picture.
Above and out of view are the bypass and blower valves and of course the pressure gauge. Engine also comes with hand and axle pump and displacement lubricator all packaged in wooden box.
Engine made by Roger Marsh to an 'exacting' stantard' to run on my 64mm mixed gauge track to 1.22.5 scale.
Anyone interested in one of these 'real fun' engines can contact me here?

dewintondave

Quote from: main131 on Feb 07 2010 23:14
Engine made by Roger Marsh to an 'exacting' stantard' to run on my 64mm mixed gauge track to 1.22.5 scale.
Anyone interested in one of these 'real fun' engines can contact me here?

Please tell me more.  What a lovely looking engine.  How far will it run between stoking up the fire?  Are these affordable for the average person, or should I be looking for plans? ;)

Many thanks,

David.

Ben_C

Here is another, very similar specification, model of an 0-4-0ST by the same builder, Roger Marsh - this time a model of a Manning Wardle H Class tank, often used by contractors in the 19thC and early 20thC, and by the Van Railway in Central Wales.

https://twitter.com/CondorCoBo/status/531486952324091904/photo/1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2A5CnKIgAAhIV6.jpg:large

Ben_C

MikeWilliams

"Affordable" is a difficult word David.  I think any hand made live steam engine will cost 4 figures, even a small one like this, and by a reputable professional builder well into 4 figures.

But, if looked after you could probably always get your money back, so its a better investment that a bank savings account and a lot more fun.  Well, that's what I tell Denise anyway!

Mike

IanT

I seem to recall that Roger converted a 16mm engine to look like a small Industrial Loco (there were photos of it in the NL a few years back) and have sometimes wondered why more people don't try this route. I doubt anyone would have guessed its origin either just by looking at it - as usual he did very nice job of it.

Adrian B. did basically the same thing with his Railmotor conversion - based on a 16mm Erdig engine. Details of that were also in the NL (as well as Garden Rail) and I still have the PDF drawing of it somewhere..

These small engines would not be expensive to build except for your time and that's basically why they are not cheap to commission. You need to be pretty switched on make a living building things for other people if you consider the hourly rate.  I remember Roger turning up at the AGM with his 5ft diameter (yes - that's 2.5ft radius!!) test track one year.

He had one of his coal fired 0-4-0's which he then proceeded to steam indoors to my great discomfort - caused my lungs all sorts of problems. Between coughs, I asked him how long he had taken to build it. "Started in October" he said (this was February) - so I expressed some surprise at taking just 5-6 months to build such a nice engine. "Don't be daft" he said "it was finished before Christmas!"

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Ben_C

Good morning IanT, as far as I understand from Roger Marsh, this is the conversion from the 16mm loco in question (what led to him mentioning this was me saying I had a Hugh Saunders 16mm loco, and Roger said (if I have got the story straight) that the Manning Wardle started life as a Hugh Saunders Jubilee 1897 narrow gauge loco (and if you look at the photos of the Jubilee 1897 on Mark Horowitz's website (especially the broadside views) you can clearly see that the cab superstructure is identical).  I do not know how much else of the original found its way into the rebuild, but it was clearly a very comprehensive rebuild in order to make it into a coal fired loco of 2 1/2" gauge, as opposed to the meths firing and 32mm gauge specification of the original).

I agree that a well constructed and beautifully finished loco like this, by someone who is recognized in the field as a master builder, will always hold its value (although for me, I do not buy engines and rolling stock as investments, they are my hobby, and after many decades of work it is nice to have some resources available to be able to acquire a small stud of locos and stock in 16mm, G1 and G3, and enjoy the running of them at small GTGs in a congenial setting with other members). 

IanT

Yes, I thought it might be Ben - but I wasn't certain.

Rogers work is highly prized - longer term members may remember the photos of his G3 Cowans steam crane published a few years back. It was fully functional (working crane and self propelled). Roger had cut all of the gears individually and when asked how he'd designed it - stated that he had started off with so much 'available' space and had simply fitted everything inside it! The crane was built under commission for a member (now sadly passed away) but was purchased from the estate (together with some other RM models) by another member.

And to echo Mike's thoughts on "value" - I always tell people that a well built steam engine will at least hold it's value. They may not appreciate in quite the same way as some "antiques" - but looked after, you should get you money back. So, in some ways, what you pay for a good engine can be viewed simply as a deposit - where you get to 'loan' the model for a while and (when you pass it on one way or the other) you'll get your deposit back!  (at least this is what I tell Herself)

:D

Regards,

IanT

Ben_C

There is a video on Youtube of a Cowans Sheldon steam crane by Roger Marsh being hauled around a member's track by a Garratt loco - very impressive!

Ben_C

Apologies to one or two members I spoke to at Ampthill last week when I promised to show them my Manning Wardle in steam at Sandy.  I didn't make it to the meeting at Sandy, but I did steam up my loco and gave it a run on the excellent Hog Hill Works rolling road (usual disclaimer) in my garden, so as a small consolation here is a link to a short video of the engine with a nice fire in the box and trundling steadily along, which she did for 45 mins or so:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVHzCRynKgQ

classicdelights

Ben
No one can watch it as it is a 'Private' video.  You will have to make it public for others to view.
Regards
Phil

Ben_C

Oh sorry, I didn't realise!  I will try to "unprivate" it!

Ben_C

It might be alright now.  Could you have another try to watch it, please, and let me know if it is now publicly accessible?  Thanks, Ben

IanT

Yes it is "viewable" now Ben - well done a very nice video. Just one suggestion - could you include "Gauge 3" in the title - so that your videos can be found by anyone searching for 'G3' topics...

Good to see everyone at Sandy yesterday - a 'spot' of rain - but the sun soon came out again and streaming was resumed. It didn't interrupt the consumption of Tea & Cake however!

:)

Regards,

IanT

Ben_C

Ok - I am always in two minds about what to put - if the main subject matter is a railway that is clearly a scenic railway rather than a passenger hauling ME track then it is easy, as the video is obviously of straight down the line Gauge 3 subject matter, but with an an engine that is first and foremost a 2 1/2 inch gauge loco, it is not quite so simple; however I will try to get "Gauge 3" in there somewhere.