• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Warco 3in1 sheet metal machine

Started by MikeWilliams, Aug 04 2019 16:42

« previous - next »

MikeWilliams

I have one of these cheap and cheerful metal guillotine/folder/rolls and it works well enough for my needs.  However, I've never used the rolls until today.  I also have a big industrial set of Edwards pinch rolls which I managed to break (its a long story!) so turned to the Warco to roll some van roofs.

Can anyone please tell me how you disconnect the guillotine so that the handles only turn the rolls?  There must be a simple pin to engage or disengage, but I can't see it.  As it is, when the blade reaches its bottom the thing stops, so you can't turn it enough to use the rolls.  I'm not sure of the model number but its about 3ft long.

Thanks.

Mike

cabbage

Mike,
If it works on the same principle as mine -then you don't! Turning the handle on my machine moves the roller, pushes the guillotine blade down and pushes the folders into the groove.

regards

ralph

MikeWilliams

So how do you turn it further Ralph?  If you have a long sheet to roll you need to turn the handles more than 360 degrees - how?

Mike

IanT

It work like Ralph says Mike.

Off the top of my head, could be that the shear is out of adjustment (no blade clearance) or that the brake fingers have dropped a bit. I don't keep the fingers mounted in mine - partly as rust is a problem in my Shed but also because I generally don't use them all at one time anyway - so they need to be set for the job.

In case you don't have it, I've sent you the instruction manual (albeit for a 12" but they are pretty generic in nature)

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

MikeWilliams

Received, thanks very much Ian.  Think you must be right.  I'll take them all off and have another go.

Mike

MikeWilliams

All fingers removed and just the same.  It does about 290 degrees and jams as the blade hits bottom centre, so will look at blade adjustment next.  Thanks.

Mike

MikeWilliams

Problem solved.  The bar which clamps the metal to the base just before the blade cuts, is held in place by two screws and coil springs.  It was coil-bound just before reaching the end of the stroke!  Removing the bar has solved the problem.  There was a washer at one end of the spring, so when assembling it again I'll leave that out and think it will be enough to give full movement.

Thanks chaps.  Now I can roll a roof and get a kit out to a very patient customer.

(sorry for all those G3-ers who don't have a Warco and must be bored by this!)

Mike