• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

GRS O2 kit - cheap

Started by MikeWilliams, Aug 05 2019 08:53

« previous - next »

MikeWilliams

On ebay but you have to be quick.  An unstarted GRS O2 kit for under £300.  That has to be very cheap, surely?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GAUGE-3-SOUTHERN-RAILWAY-02-LOCOMOTIVE/163796281963?hash=item262304ea6b:g:EoMAAOSwLW5dPzRh

Mike

IanT

Certainly sounds it Mike - and auction finishes today!

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

AllWight

watch it sky rocket in the last 5 minutes!!

Mark

MikeWilliams

You were right Mark.  £520.  Still seems reasonable.

Mike

AllWight

fair price to be fair and under the original cost price too

Mark

John Candy

You may be surprised to learn that I bid a max. of 500GBP, even though Southern is not my "thing" (despite having been brought up on the SR within "whistle-blow" of Wimbledon and having fond memories of a week-long school visit to the IOW in 1960) but I wanted to make sure the vendor got a reasonable sum and would not have been upset had I ended up with it!

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

MikeWilliams

... and we know how you love GRS kits John.

Sleeper Agent

Afraid I was the last second sniper so expect to eventually see it in blasphemous NWR blue! Little surprised it didn't go for a bit more tbh as the max I put down was just over the £600 mark and even that is still a fair bit under the current price tag. Anywho heard good things about this particular GRS kit and if I can manage to acquire a second in the fulness of time i'll have the push-pull services on the Brendam branch fully covered once I've got some coaches for them as well ;)

John Candy

I was surprised there weren't more bidders and that it went for only two-thirds of retail.
What would have been depressing was for it have sold to a "dealer" for even less and then appeared at an inflated price at a later date.
As any long-term member will know, I am not a "fan" of GRS kits but have no experience of  this particular model.
Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

AllWight

Quote from: Sleeper Agent on Aug 06 2019 22:48
Afraid I was the last second sniper so expect to eventually see it in blasphemous NWR blue! Little surprised it didn't go for a bit more tbh as the max I put down was just over the £600 mark and even that is still a fair bit under the current price tag. Anywho heard good things about this particular GRS kit and if I can manage to acquire a second in the fulness of time i'll have the push-pull services on the Brendam branch fully covered once I've got some coaches for them as well ;)

NWR Blue, Brendam Branch, i presume we are talking Rev Awdry territory here then as in the Island of Sodor? Brendam Branch was Edwards branch line. Showing my geeky nerdy side here

Mark

Mark

Sleeper Agent

Aye Mark, Ed's branch on the second North West Railway :D Between the RWS books the Awdry family filled in quite a few areas of the island and its railways and so we know some time after the Wellsworth & Suddery Railway's four 0-6-0 tank engines operated that stretch some push-pulls took charge on what became the Brendam branch while Ed and co mostly handled the morning and evening trains between Brendam and Tidmouth (as not seen in Wrong Road). Had penned two M7s of Swanage fame originally for this service as I'm sure Corfe castle is the inspiration behind Suddery's ruins but they're a little overkill and so the GRS's choice of prototype is a real blessing. Haven't got their exact arrival dates worked out yet but thanks to electrification and newer builds much like the Isle of Wight the NW was also able to acquire some of the redundant 02s in the 20s/30s ;)
Anywho sorry for the delay but I wanted to wait until the package arrived.

Haven't had a proper inspection and read through yet but the instructions do contain a few coloured photos thankfully. The bunker developed a chip in transit despite being well packaged unfortunately but that's easily repairable.
Other than the thinness along that lip the resin components don't appear to need much in the way of cleanup and the metal running plate looks very robust.......haven't actually built a loco before as I always found 4mm kits a bit too fiddly so this should be interesting!