Author Topic: 24V esc  (Read 205 times)

Offline John Branch

24V esc
« on: Aug 14 2019 19:04 »
I have recently acquired some physically small, but nevertheless high voltage motors, that will take up to 24v.  The choice of ESC seems to be between the new Paul Jones Mac, and a new Viper that also handles this voltage.  Has anyone experience of any type of ESC at 24V-I need one that will handle 5A in normal service, maybe 8 in an emergency.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

John Branch

Offline John Candy

Re: 24V esc
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14 2019 20:26 »
John,
VIPER LOCO 10 HV is my current preference .... I have several locos using it, including "Calcutta".
It can handle 10A continuous and its small size is an advantage.
John.

P.S. A word of caution......ensure your cell pack does not charge to excess of 24V or you will fry the ESC.......I speak from experience........the pack in my GWR diesel railcar charged to 26+ volts even though rated at below 24V.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline cabbage

« Reply #2 on: Aug 14 2019 20:39 »
Have a look at Electronize and Dimension Engineering. They are not as small as a Mtroniks but the current handling and overload factors are greater. I have used both to great effect.

Regards

Ralph

Offline John Branch

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15 2019 09:41 »
Many thanks, gents, that cuts down my search area considerably.  The drone, boat, plane and truck people seem to deal in higher amperages than voltages, so their ESCs cater for them and not us.

John

Offline John Branch

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15 2019 17:49 »
It appears that Electronize has stopped making ESCs, and there is no website.  I have one and it it's silent on the label about voltage, and I cannot find the paperwork.  Does anyone know the max voltage they will take?

John

Offline John Candy

« Reply #5 on: Aug 15 2019 18:26 »
I have FR8T-AM and the older 43VR models and both were used with 24V before being replaced by more modern types from Peter Spoerer and Mtroniks.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline yamie1900

« Reply #6 on: Aug 16 2019 15:00 »
I have used vipers in the past the fisrt one fitted to grs 08 diesel
Viper Marine 25.....24v and
Viper Marine15.......24v fitted to Atlantic both work faultlessly and almost silent. (Have i tempted fate).