Author Topic: Sticking thing  (Read 142 times)

Offline cabbage

Sticking thing
« on: Sep 03 2019 12:10 »
I am about to start final assembly on the bogies (once I can get out of here!) I need a way to stick nylon66 to mild steel. Any ideas?

Regards

Ralph

Offline IanT

Re: Sticking thing
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03 2019 12:23 »
None other than screws, nuts & bolts Ralph or some other form of physical restraint - but I'm no expert on modern adhesives

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline AllWight

« Reply #2 on: Sep 03 2019 15:50 »
Araldite then it stick like you know what to the proverbial blanket

Mark

Offline Peaky 556

« Reply #3 on: Sep 03 2019 20:55 »
Some kind of surface activator sold by loctite is recommended for plastics with high surface energy, followed by one of their grades of instant adhesive. Try ringing them, I always found them helpful when I worked in the packaging industry.

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #4 on: Sep 03 2019 21:10 »
Must admit I'd never thought to try mending blankets with Araldite, but Nylon is surely a problem because it is slippery and fluid?  I'm not convinced that you can stick it, so will watch this thread with interest.

Mike

Offline John Candy

« Reply #5 on: Sep 03 2019 23:32 »
I have only once worked with nylon (large diameter white rod) and that was to produce, by turning,  the pattern for the Sentinel "funnel" (apparently Sentinel called them funnels and not chimneys, since core business was marine engines).

The basic turned pattern then had metal and plastic adornments attached with glue (including spark arrestor mesh), before being glued to a plastic card base and used to produce a silicone mould......from which the funnels were cast in resin.

It was 4 or 5 years ago and I cannot remember precisely which adhesives I used but it would have been either a thick CA (industrial grade plus an accelerator spray) or an epoxy resin (possibly both for different parts). Am away from home so don't have photos taken at time of design/construction here and the patterns for the loco kit are now with Mike W. but sticking bits to nylon did work.

John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline cabbage

« Reply #6 on: Sep 07 2019 16:21 »
It is possible to stick Nylon 66 to BMS!!! Ok it has to be a good tight fit but -it works...

Regards

Ralph