• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

BARRETT STEAM MODELS

Started by AshleyW, Oct 24 2019 23:53

« previous - next »

AshleyW

good news. Barrett steam are intending to introduce g3 kits to their range. Possibly j65 and Dean goods being two types proposed, both in steam or electric formats. Also option of r. t. r, prices also seem very tempting. Let's hope this comes to fruition and is supported by our members as it gives an option to own a model with your own input and from the u. k, so could help G3 expand and gain interest from those G1 modelers who already build their kits.

Sleeper Agent

Sounds quite positive indeed :) Looking through their site I can't see a lot of crossover with my particulate interests unfortunately but would be interested in the Fowler and GNR tender kits were they to be enlarged, quite possibly the smart looking footbridge kit as well.

AshleyW

for others here's the link to the website
http://www.barrettsteammodels.co.uk/index.html
of course our personal choice may be not what they have, but if we want them to back g3 we may have to purchase something not quite to our tastes to get them established. after all, if a newcomer asks, where can i get r.t.r live steam if i join, the main answer currently is to buy used 2.5" and restore or kingscale/grs , which are also of limited protoypes and also limited runs.

Have seen a coal-fired G1 Barrett LBSC Atlantic. It performed really well, and being a 4-4-2 it had a nice wide firebox. If they do a G3 version it should be a great engine.

Robert. 492.

blagdon

I'd go for an electric (battery) Dean Goods with 3500 gal tender if Tim wants to try a prototype build. No 2426 if possible.

Ian the Gauge '3' Pirate

MikeWilliams

Any new manufacturer coming into Gauge 3 has to be welcomed.  I am surprised though because when I commissioned Barrett to make the cylinders for venture I was concerned that they might market them direct and they said they had no interest in entering the Gauge 3 market.

Mike

John Candy

QuoteDean Goods with 3500 gal tender

Ian,

I am not aware of any Dean Goods having been coupled with a 3500 gallon Churchward
tender.

The 2,500 gallon Dean (6ft 6ins + 6ft 6 ins WB, as supplied with GRS kit) and 3,000 gallon (7ft 6ins + 7ft 6ins WB) were the "norm".

Preserved 2516 has a 2500 gallon tender.

Regards,
John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

blagdon

Probably my bad memory, I will check it out; not all had same capacity tender.

Ian the Gauge '3' Pirate

AshleyW

regarding dean goods etc, i think perhaps if barretts can do a "hornby dublo" and have a chassis of an 0-6-0 that can be closley used for a variety of simple similar types with just variants of bodywork etc, then that may be the first steps in getting a few types.

MikeWilliams

But if you look at what they do in G1, that's not the way they work.  They make complete kits.

Mike

IanT

Gauge 1 can give some interesting pointers I think Mike.

Aster provided high quality engines (at a price) in both kit and RTR forms. G1MRA also had (have) 'how to build' books - starting with the Project, then Dee and now ARM1G. Over time various Traders started to support these designs with pre-made parts such as boilers and cylinder units. Indeed ARM1G was designed with Trade support in mind to (in effect) produce a 'kit' engine.

Given that G1 has about a 20 year head start in terms of it's resurrection, I think we are tracking them fairly well - albeit that part of what might have been a G3 user base is already committed to 16mm/G1.

But the Kingscale engines were in some ways our 'Aster' and now Barratt is starting to look at G3 too (as are others possibly). In terms of a G3 'Project' - I think there are already existing 2.5" designs that could be used but that tend to be overlooked. LBSC's 'Simple 4F' (in 2.5") is supposed to be the inspiration for the 'Project' and both this and several other engines (i.e. Victoria, Rose) could be updated (to near scale & metric) and fulfil the same purpose as the G1MRA Project - which I believe is to provide a low cost entry point to live-steam.

This is probably the way to go to get to Ashley's "Hornby 0-6-0" but whether folk still want to build things these days I'm not so sure - although scratch building live-steam is clearly still popular in some 16mm circles (but then there is plenty of choice in RTR too).

Regards,

IanT

Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

There may be some mileage in letting the Model Engineer media about G3, for the reason that there are many large-scale locomotive builders who have completed long term projects, or have a home full of large models with no more room who would be attracted to G3.
Because M E's have the machine tools and skill to make the parts, a smaller project takes shorter time especially if you go electric, keeps the interest going and is affordable, also bags of fun!
Just a thought

Mike

IanT

It's a good idea Mike - and we already send a copy of the Newsletter to all the main Railway Mags (RM, BRM, GR etc) as well as Model Engineer. In fact, Geoff Thursby (Club News Editor) at ME is pretty reliable in giving us a mention in ME following the latest NL publication. We've also had a number of G3 related articles published in ME over the years too - most notably by Dick Allan who has had several of his designs published as build series.

And therein lies the problem really - we have quite a few very good Model Engineers within our community but designing a loco (or anything really) and then writing it all up (with drawings & photos etc) is a major undertaking as I'm sure Dick would tell you. Of course, a build 'diary' of a G3 Barrett steam loco might also be of interest to one of the ME mags (ME/EIM). I've had several articles published and the Editors are pretty open to suggestions but something new/different/topical tends to attract their interest more easily.

Regards,

IanT     

AshleyW

geoff thursby, nearly always contacts me, post newsletter publication chasing copies of photos from our newsletter, i don't see m.e magazine, but assumed some of these photo's may make it in there. will have to get him to a g.t.g post lockdown and see if he can do an article for the mag on g3.

IanT

Yes, as mentioned - he's pretty good at mentioning us in the ME 'Club News' Ashley - so well worth keeping him on the mailing list.

Regards,

IanT