Author Topic: BARRETT STEAM MODELS  (Read 493 times)

Offline AshleyW

BARRETT STEAM MODELS
« on: Oct 24 2019 23:53 »
good news. Barrett steam are intending to introduce g3 kits to their range. Possibly j65 and Dean goods being two types proposed, both in steam or electric formats. Also option of r. t. r, prices also seem very tempting. Let's hope this comes to fruition and is supported by our members as it gives an option to own a model with your own input and from the u. k, so could help G3 expand and gain interest from those G1 modelers who already build their kits.

Offline Sleeper Agent

Re: BARRETT STEAM MODELS
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25 2019 09:33 »
Sounds quite positive indeed :) Looking through their site I can't see a lot of crossover with my particulate interests unfortunately but would be interested in the Fowler and GNR tender kits were they to be enlarged, quite possibly the smart looking footbridge kit as well.

Offline AshleyW

« Reply #2 on: Oct 25 2019 10:45 »
for others here's the link to the website
http://www.barrettsteammodels.co.uk/index.html
of course our personal choice may be not what they have, but if we want them to back g3 we may have to purchase something not quite to our tastes to get them established. after all, if a newcomer asks, where can i get r.t.r live steam if i join, the main answer currently is to buy used 2.5" and restore or kingscale/grs , which are also of limited protoypes and also limited runs.

Offline 492

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25 2019 11:19 »
Have seen a coal-fired G1 Barrett LBSC Atlantic. It performed really well, and being a 4-4-2 it had a nice wide firebox. If they do a G3 version it should be a great engine.

Robert. 492.

Offline blagdon

« Reply #4 on: Oct 26 2019 21:36 »
I'd go for an electric (battery) Dean Goods with 3500 gal tender if Tim wants to try a prototype build. No 2426 if possible.

Ian the Gauge '3' Pirate

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #5 on: Oct 26 2019 22:23 »
Any new manufacturer coming into Gauge 3 has to be welcomed.  I am surprised though because when I commissioned Barrett to make the cylinders for venture I was concerned that they might market them direct and they said they had no interest in entering the Gauge 3 market.

Mike

Offline John Candy

« Reply #6 on: Oct 27 2019 08:58 »
Dean Goods with 3500 gal tender

Ian,

I am not aware of any Dean Goods having been coupled with a 3500 gallon Churchward
 tender.

The 2,500 gallon Dean (6ft 6ins + 6ft 6 ins WB, as supplied with GRS kit) and 3,000 gallon (7ft 6ins + 7ft 6ins WB) were the "norm".

Preserved 2516 has a 2500 gallon tender.

Regards,
John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline blagdon

« Reply #7 on: Oct 27 2019 22:34 »
Probably my bad memory, I will check it out; not all had same capacity tender.

Ian the Gauge '3' Pirate