• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Motor choice

Started by Nick, Nov 16 2019 10:00

« previous - next »

IanT

Lovely work Nick.

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Nick

Your engine is looking superb, could you describe in more detail your methods of creating the curve of domes and safety valve covers to sit on the boiler.

I turn up a large thin over size flange at the base of a dome, then anneal and dress down the flange over a round former the same dia as the boiler, then return to the lathe and turn to size.

Mike

Nick

Thank you both for your kind words.

To create the flare, I first flycut the base of the workpiece to the correct diameter for the boiler or smokebox, and drill and tap it for an arbour. It then goes on to the gizmo you can see in the photo. As it is rotated, the base runs on a peg that is hidden between the vice jaws, so that the cutter path follows the profile of the base. I gradually take off as much material as I can with a ballnose cutter. The finish is terrible because it is impossible to stop the workpiece chattering. I strengthened the spring shown in the photo considerably and pushed on the end of the dome with my thumb but still couldn't hold it completely steady. But that doesn't matter because the final task is to file it by hand to the final shape - checking the profiles frequently.

I've heard about people using Mike's method, or some variant of it, but I'm not sure it would work for me because I'm not that confident about my abilities with a hammer. I would have to practice on a few pieces to start with. For me, modern technology will be the way to go. I enjoy using traditional methods but not to the point of making a fetish of them.

Nick

IanT

Very ingenious Nick - thank you for sharing the idea.

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Nick
Thank you for the explanation, I agree with Ian's comment. I note you are using steel which is harder than brass, maybe that might machine better.

The method I described in my post the brass is annealed thus easier to work. I have a piece of square copper with rounded end that I dress the flare over the form thus not damaging the surface of the metal.

I find it fascinating how we find different solutions to overcome problems that come up building engines.

Mike

Nick

QuoteI note you are using steel

Only because it is what was to hand, and because it will be painted. The South Western, unlike some railways, didn't go in for polished brass or copper bonnets (thankfully). I agree, brass might cut down the machining time.

QuoteI find it fascinating how we find different solutions to overcome problems that come up building engines.

I couldn't agree more! It's what a forum is (or should be) all about.

Nick

Nick

The backhead is another component with interesting curves. Previously I had cut them from plate and filed the radius. This time I thought I would try a corner radius cutter. The workpiece was clamped to a plate drilled at the centres of three arcs: the top section of the backplate and the two fillets between that and the parallel section downwards. Each arc was cut in turn on using a rotary table, the fillets first and then the top to join them.

The finish left by the cutter wasn't bad, good enough that it was only a few minutes work with a file to smooth it all off. Result: a very consistent corner radius and a considerable time saving.

Nick

Nick

I'm waiting for the next batch of fittings to finish the cab and backhead.

In the meantime I started drawing the tender and turning the tender wheels.

The drawing isn't just for fun, I'm getting a lot of the parts made and so I had to draw them anyway. After that assembling them is not a whole lot more effort, and I find it helps me to work out the assembly.

The well tank is prototypical and by including it I figured that I could get a pack of 10 C-cells in the tender if I decided or discovered I needed the battery capacity. My original idea was to put them in the loco but I found I could only get a pack of AA batteries in there. It means a more weight in the tender for the loco to pull around, but with the motor between the frames, I can fill the firebox with scrap iron and get a lot of tractive weight on the driving wheels.

The tender wheels, like the loco wheels, are Mark Wood castings (only had a year to wait for them!) and very nice they are too. Fine grain cast iron, no hard skin or inclusions, they turn up very well with only the inevitable graphite dust to contend with.

Nick

Nick

I have finished the backhead and cab. The awkward bits (vacuum brake, water gauge bases and caps, reverser frame, etc) are 3D printed and/or cast, the rest is done the hard way. The most fiddly parts were the water gauge glasses, which are pieces of square perspex rod with tiny brass angles glued to each corner. Obviously once they were done I did not let the soldering iron anywhere near them. The reverser called for a square LH thread. It doesn't work because I couldn't face doing a matching internal thread.

And that completes the loco, apart from a few parts like the spectacle frames, handrails and oil pots that will go on after painting. Elapsed time so far is 4.5 years. I lost count of the CAD and workshop time so I really don't know, but who cares? It's supposed to be a hobby.

2014 mdx 0 60

Onwards with the tender.

Nick

MikeWilliams

Beautiful.  I was about to say what nice wheels and rods, but that would imply the rest is less nice, and that's not what I mean!

Mike

Nick

Thanks Mike. The wheels do look superb, but credit for that must go to Mark Wood who did the castings. Well worth the money and the wait for them!

Nick

Nick

Good things come to he who waits, an excellent piece of craftsmanship the backhead is beautiful. I wish I had your patience.

Mike

Nick

After a long delay, the tender is finished. The axleboxes, springs and the brake column are 3D printed and the rest of it is quite conventional, although those flares were a nuisance to get right. At least they are mitred at the corners rather than round.

That's all the construction done and it's ready for the paintshop. But it will have to wait a bit longer because that is currently occupied by a certain LNWR coach.

Nick

IMG_20220301_155640172_s.jpg

IMG_20220301_161359616_s.jpg 

John Candy

Very nice .... well worth the effort!

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

I have seen Nicks exquisite work on this engine, the attention to detail has to be seen to appreciate it. I look forward to seeing the engine painted.

Mike