Author Topic: "B set" Niggles.  (Read 553 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline John Candy

"B set" Niggles.
« on: Jan 05 2020 12:37 »

There are a lot of the GWR E147 non-corridor brake composites around .... those which GRS list(ed) as "B sets", although not all of that diagram were formed into sets.
I have six of the carriages; two were bought ready-painted, the other four currently remain unpainted.

Apart from the well-publicised Sancheng/Chinese soldering problems (the carriages have a habit of falling apart with little provocation) there are dimensional and detailing errors which I find irritating.

These are:
1) Roof vents in wrong positions (also lack of roof panel ribbing)
2) Holes for door handles are displaced to the left of correct positions.
3) The underframe trussing is incorrect.

If you have a pre-painted model it is possible to correct (1) and (3) without damaging the paintwork on the sides. Point (2) is going to require a repaint after rectification, so is best forgotten (fortunately, on my pre-painted examples, the handle positions had been corrected prior to painting).

The rectification of the roof vents and door handles I have covered previously, see
http://g3forum.org.uk/index.php/topic,1777.0.html
but yesterday, I decided to tackle the underframe trusses on two of the unpainted carriages.

There are three basic errors :
A) The trusses are set too low , they almost touch the rails (in fact someone told me a while back that they had a "B set" on which they sometimes touched the rails but had thought it was down to poor track on a friend's garden line and had not realised the dimensional fault which leaves little clearance).

B) The angles in the trusses are noticeably outside the vertical posts and not covered by the posts as they should be (also the truss angle was fixed outside the posts, instead of in the correct position, behind the verticals).

C) The trusses are not set immediately behind the solebars.

I decided to rectify points (A) and (B) and leave (C), since it is not noticeable and would have required fresh material to provide lengthened cross-members.

Firstly, the soldered joints where the vertical posts meet the floor were "beefed-up". Next the cross-members which space the truss angle were removed, then the vertical posts were cut through flush with the truss angle. The fragments of post left attached to the truss angle were desoldered and discarded.

Each truss angle was cut through once (leaving two pieces, one long, the other short) where it had been soldered to one of the posts and both the old "bends" straightened. The longer length was marked where it met the post situated part way along its length, and then "notched" and bent so the bend coincided with the vertical post . The "free ends" of both the short and long sections were trimmed and angled, so that (when the shorter section had been "notched" and bent) the "join" would sit behind the second vertical post.

The fiddly bit was grinding/filing away the inward-facing flanges on the vertical posts sufficiently to permit the angle trusses to sit behind the posts with lower surface flush with the post ends.
The whole lot was then soldered up and the cross-members re-fitted.

Finally, the "notches" left exposed (where the old bends had been straightened) were filled and all new joints filed clean.

It took about 5 hours to deal with both carriages.

Photos show before and after ..... hopefully they will also make the above description intelligible!

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline AllWight

Re: "B set" Niggles.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07 2020 16:50 »
Oh how i love Chinese soldering at its worst lol. I have repaired a lot of the prairies and the b set coaches that have fallen apart like clown cars in the past. Almost to the point i am getting very good at it!!

Mark