• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

The Call of Cthulu...

Started by cabbage, Feb 02 2020 15:11

« previous - next »

Doddy

Quote from: cabbage on Feb 09 2020 12:09Thrust Buckets. These are the method that commercial jet liners use to brake after landing. Given the potential for a similar use - do I fit them?

Reversing! It will have to be towed back to the start - so a small shunter is required to do this. The Princess Royal required one for the same reason...

Thrust buckets and reversing? Theres always as reason to behave like in real life . . .  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zkxh903s_w
"You don't know what you don't know"

Doddy

Quote from: cabbage on Feb 09 2020 12:09Reversing! It will have to be towed back to the start - so a small shunter is required to do this.

Yup! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saG-QQSiG4I

John Branch

Nobody thought to mount the engine pods on a turntable!? Braking and reversing solved at a stroke.
John

Spitfire2865

Any reason you cant fit a motor for braking/reversing?
Belt driven, doesnt need much torque and can be actuated by a servo?
-Trevor Young

Peaky 556

One of the first things you'll need is super-elevation, and I mean super-super camber on the curves!

cabbage

Tim,
There IS and easier method of ensuring good track adhesion and this was mooted in the pub yesterday.

"Why don't you tilt the train?"

The person who suggested this was duly castigated verbally (Martyn is ex RM). But again the idea has merit! This could be done using "saddle curves" in which one side of the loco is raised as the bogie rotates. A far simpler solution than pneumatics!!!

Having a donkey engine to pull the loco backwards rather than having a shunter is I feel "cheating"(?)

So far we have to construct ; thrust buckets, disc brakes and saddle curves -and the motors haven't even arrived yet!!!

regards

ralph

cabbage

After some plotting and hmm(?) work production printing has begun. The jet shroud has been modified to fit the available fans and the wall shell thickness increased from 2 layers to 4. This gives me more to sand smooth. Printing of this should finish Monday morning. The top and bottom rear parts of the jet pod have been printed (12 hours each!) The next problem is the thrust buckets and how they angle into and out of the thrust stream. More cheese cobs and a pint afterwards -I think!!!

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Well after 25 hours 9 mins of printing the shroud body is complete. It is huge!

More OpenScad!!!!

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Printing is complete for the jet pod -other bits await programming. Looking at the completed jet pod, I am reminded of something  CJ Walas a member of another forum once said;

"Mr Brades, over the years I have come to realise that you are the most dangerously sane person I have ever known"...

He could be right(?)

" The only difference between me and a madman - is the fact that I am NOT mad."
(Salvador Dali)

Regards

Ralph

John Branch

That pair of pods just looks "Right".  Going to add reheat?

John

cabbage

John,

Thank you!!! The mind scrunching required to program an object upside down whilst having only pictures of it  the right way up... The tear drop on the top of the pods is actually the case for the wing tip landing wheel. once everything is set solid  overnight -it is out with the P38 and start gap filling and sculpturing. The pod is 18cm wide by 25cm long -so when it sits on the loco -you will notice it.

I think re-heat is out though!

regards

ralph

Doddy

Jet pod as used on the B-36Jet pod as used on the M-497 Black Beetle

Doddy

Quote from: cabbage on Feb 16 2020 18:43I think re-heat is out though

Hmn, I also think its just a turbojet. Mind you, given it is a 1948 design it probably would need a hefty pair of smoke generators fitted.

More pics . . .

Once you have mastered the ducted fan technology maybe the NYC snow blower and Russian version would be on the cards - LoL  :D

By the way Ralph - a great piece of OpenScad work there - very impressive!

cabbage

Robert,
I am sure that I have seen a picture of the russian loco with two carriages attached? Once I have made the Black Bug and completed another 2-NOL the technology may be there for more powerful smaller diameter ducted fans(?)

As to congratulations on OpenScad once I have figured out how to program the code for the Japanese loco...

Regards

Ralph

Doddy

Quote from: cabbage on Feb 17 2020 09:32
Robert,
I am sure that I have seen a picture of the russian loco with two carriages attached?

You're not wrong, I'd never seen it that way - but . . .