Author Topic: Middleton-in-Teesdale NER  (Read 214 times)

Offline MikeWilliams

Middleton-in-Teesdale NER
« on: Feb 10 2020 08:46 »
Its been a while since we had any genera railway pictures on here, so here’s another. 

Middleton-in-Teesdale is on the North Eastern Railway in Country Durham and here’s a lovely overall view of the station

In the siding in the foreground we can see six wagons, L to R:
1.   Midland D305 3-plank dropside.  A kit for this is available from Williams Models.
2.   Not visible behind the wall, but single plank.
3.   Caledonian 3-plank, probably D24.
4 and 5. NBR D77 3-plank with fixed side.  A kit for this is also available from Williams Models.
6. Probably an NER C10 17ft open wagon with 6-planks, though I can see no sign of any lettering on it.

There is a common misconception that Scottish wagons were only seen in Scotland, and yet County Durham doesn’t even border Scotland, but half of the wagons this side of the line were from north of the border.

Behind the station are two further sidings, and I'll identify some wagons there shortly ...

Mike

Offline MikeWilliams

Re: Middleton-in-Teesdale NER
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10 2020 08:54 »
Behind the station are two sidings, the nearest being partially obscured by a bank of something.  Most of the wagons seem to be loaded with the same thing which suggest an outgoing train of local produce (any ideas what this is?).  The wagons are, L to R:

Part of a loaded wagon with about 5 planks.
A slightly lower wagon, completely obscured.
Midland Railway.  Judging by the size of the letters, probably a 5-plank.
A lower wagon, possibly GC?
GWR open wagon.  Anyone with more knowledge of GWR wagons (i.e. almost everyone!) care to comment?

Behind is another siding  and L to R:
An unidentified wagon with dark coloured loose load.
A private owner wagon, probably coal, with the side door open.  I can’t read the lettering at the top of the side, but the large letters are B ? ? & Co.
Then I think there is a gap before we come to:
A low wagon with tarpaulin which seems to have just three letters.  Could this be LMS?
An LNWR D88 van, unfitted in post-1912-ish livery and with a steel roof (early vans had wood and canvas roofs).  Williams Models make a kit for this.

I hope others will identify other objects of interest, but there seem to be two water tanks which must be unusual, and a nice yard lamp behind the Caledonian wagon.  Please chip in with other items of interest, or to correct my errors, as I am sure I must have made some.

Finally I must add the usual disclaimer that I have no connection with the model manufacturer mentioned other than being its founder and owner, whose products I unashamedly promote!

Mike

Offline John Candy

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10 2020 09:37 »
Nice photos.....always liked that station since seeing an article in Railway Modeller in 1960's

Coal wagon is BW&Co (Barber Walker & Co. Harworth Colliery)

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10 2020 10:25 »
Thank you John.  Not sure how you identified the coal wagon but you are right!  Probably a 7-plank - Williams Models do a kit for that (am I allowed to say that?)!

Mike

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #4 on: Feb 18 2020 21:53 »
Just found a note on website "disused stations" which explains the two water tanks.  "The 10,000 gallon water tank seen on the right was built in the 1890s, replacing the smaller tank behind it".

Mike