• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

What will YOU be doing for the next 4 months?!

Started by John Candy, Mar 15 2020 12:32

« previous - next »

John Candy

If, as is being touted by those "in the know", all 70+ age group are to be confined to their homes for 4 months, what will you be building/doing?

Well, assuming one is still able to obtain supplies of materials and that must be in doubt, I have three Coal Tanks which have been troubling me for some while now; two 57XX Panniers which are all but finished (and have been for a number of years!); several carriage and NPCS projects which have been converted to layered files and are ready for processing by the Cricut "Maker" machine; three GCR and GNR locos which are in the preliminary stages and loads (dozens) of half-built wagons needing to be completed. Then there are the additional buildings I need for the garden line (after I have finished laying the pneumatics and building the control panels) and plenty of other jobs I cannot even remember off the top of my head.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

cabbage

To be honest John - surviving... I have lived through four quarentines in rural Rhodesia and having survived " River fever, black cholera, to scarletina and double measles as a boy...   I raised level one barrier confinement last week. In two weeks time when my Son finishes his spring term at Keele. I raise it to level two. My GTG is on the 18th of April. Depending on how things go I may drop it back down to one or raise it to three. If it goes to three that means I will see you after mid summer's day...

As to building stuff, well I probably have to reprint Brassica Station and the footbridge. I will have to cut the wood for the second 2-Nol set, (for some reason I feel that there should be three sets). Getting the signalling up and running. This will be interesting as the distance between the signals is farther than I can now see!!! I have a 20m length of fibre optic link that should help me. Not that I will be able to see the lights but the certification detector should be able to do this for me.

I have my two "thrust" locos to build and my "retirement project black 5" to complete.

In the meantime I have raised beds to seed and a greenhouse to get into peak production. Tim has said that my garden is highly productive. It is almost like the garden I grew up with - but that was 9 hectares. The next door neighbor was over 2Km away!!!

Regards

Ralph

Jon_C

If I'm honest Ralph that's something I'm considering,  I have the garden space, and a trip to buy seeds is very little, a small allotment would be handy.
I'm in the catergory of low risk, been "only " 36. But I do worry for the older generation, especially after seeing the state of the supermarkets, and the panic buying that is going on there.
As for projects "if" I am quarentined, I have the eagle build for which I have a lot of materials for already. Plus builds in other scales that will keep me occupied for many months.

MikeWilliams

Carry on regardless really.  I am sure lots of domestic jobs will be found but the new garden railway WILL progress this year and a small start was made this week.  But its a year of milestone family birthdays (not mine) which will all take time unless we follow Austria and ban meetings of more than five people!

I really hope G3 GTGs continue.

Mike

Jon Nazareth

I have enough railway projects/kits to last for quite some time way, way in excess of four months with another, a brake van, coming soon(?).  I have six raised beds for growing vegetables which all need sorting out and a greenhouse for growing more tender produce.  Once those courgettes and beans start fruiting, there's no stopping them as anyone who grows veg will testify.  There's also enough garden produce in the freezer to last in excess of the four months, probably six.  I live in a small village and will be able to get out for walks without meeting anyone and those I do, I'll be able to keep at a safe distance.  Hopefully being able to get out for walks will stop me going stir crazy.

While here, does anyone know where I can get a dummy reversing lever?  I bought a very nice one for my Manning Wardle in cast brass but can't for the life of me remember from whom.

Jon

Jon Nazareth

P.S  I've looked back here on the Forum at the post on my MW and it would appear that I bought it from Slaters  ;D.  Ah, those little grey cells.....

Jon

John Candy

Announcement from 16mm Assocn.

Show Postponed
The National Garden Railway Show, which had been scheduled for Saturday 4th April, is being postponed until late this year. Potential dates are still being discussed, so we cannot announce a rescheduled date until later this week.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

cabbage

Given the facts...

The Cabbage Patch Railway is closing its doors until at least June. This means that at least one but probably two GTGs will have to be cancelled.

Apologies....

Ralph

cabbage

The upside of this is that some track laying and assorted maintenance can be done to the track bed. The wooden Brand right sleepers have basically "had it". Not due to rot by frost and animal knawing. The white metal sleepers are fine as are the lengths of G3S brass rail...

The plan would seem to be to complete the Great North Straight and then to lift the first lane of the drag strip, replace with plastic sleepers and re-lay. Do I then apply ballast? If so how do I use SRB? My brother in law is a builder and his advise is a bottle to a concrete mixer!!!

I am surviving well and now that I can get into the garden I can start to plant and sow what I am eating out of the deep freezers (3).

I am beginning to hate Apple Charlotte...

Regards

Ralph

Bruce_L

I seem to have resurrected various projects that were shelved until I had time to work on them.
What better time? The way its going I'll finish my main projects before we're allowed out again! That's not because I'm working fast, but indicates the slow improvement to the world virus problem.
Anyway, I had a few coach jobs to do. I need to fix tables in one of Eddie Wallsall's protype MK1 as they have no interior. I've already adjusted the bogies on this so that it will navigate the few tight curves in my small garden layout, so I can run this coach in places my other coaches won't
I'm also upholstering seating in a few coaches, and making sundry other improvements.
I managed to obtain some smashing material from Dunelm who stock all sorts of colours with  tiny veins embedded and they make excellent seat covers. [Red for 2nd class (the majority) and Blue for 1st]. I also found a smashing green which I took as well because it might come in handy in future DMU's or similar.

As the weather gradually gets warmer and drier, its also time do some running. I'm assuming that 'staying at home or else' doesn't preclude my forages into the garden!
All that should last me 3, if not 4, months!
Bruce

MikeWilliams

Any photos of the interiors Bruce?

Mike

cabbage

I now have a fully loaded greenhouse, two veg beds dug with the third one today. The garden is now about two weeks behind,.. once the end of the week then comes BST and a large bucket of hot water to put the tin of roofing adhesive in!!!

The baseboards for the second line of the Great North Straight are screwed into position. These were dragged into position by my petite niece and the winch on "TONKA" her one and a half tonne land rover.

This means that I have to slice felt with a bread knife and apply yuck to the planks. This will take a couple of weeks of good weather. THEN alas I have to lift and replace the eaten sleepers on the dragstrip.

Regards

Ralph

Bruce_L

Belay previous estimate!
been descended on by 3 grand-kids who can't go to school any more (for how long, no-one knows). Home tuition seems to be the norm suddenly.
That rather puts the lid on a lot of modelling work. I'll just have to fit bits in as and when.
So much for a load of weeks with loads of time to ourselves!
I'll get some photos added when I get the opportunity!
Bruce

MikeWilliams

Well, I started assembly of the garden line I've been planning for .. well, for far too long.  I was worried about clearance behind a rather large tree but decided to bite the bullet and put it in place.  This is the result:

how to make a picture into a link

It still needs to be tweaked because there is another very large tree behind the camera.  Have put two sections on temporary supports and the pan is three and possibly four, then move the whole lot about to get the alignment perfect - then put in permanent supports.  I think it will fit between two large trees, one small tree and the fence .. just .. somehow.

Mike

Peaky 556

Mike,
Persevere and if it won't quite fit, then take a chunk out of the tree to create the loading gauge you require.  I had been loathe to do this but several years ago decided that a lime tree close to the corner of my garage was making a curve, between the two, just too restrictive.  After cutting away the bark and cambium on one side I then used bitumastic paint over the wound to seal it.  Several years later the tree still produces healthy foliage, and, providing the passengers don't lean out of the window at the wrong moment, clearance is fine!
Tim