Author Topic: What will YOU be doing for the next 4 months?!  (Read 1836 times)

Offline cabbage

Re: What will YOU be doing for the next 4 months?!
« Reply #30 on: Mar 31 2020 13:46 »
The last m4x75 torx screws have been used and the mgt now declares the trackbed ready for adhesive and felt! The felt and adhesive have been stored in the greenhouse to keep them warm and soft. The 5m roll has been butchered into 30cm lengths but I have no idea if this is sufficient - as the saying goes "I will let you know!"

So, the trackbed is ready. I need to realign the exit from the summer house curve to fit the new inner straight and then lay the (now) outer track to the house. The return points from the lawn loop are on the kitchen table. These used to join both tracks at the end of the dragstrip.

So when it is completed there will continuous points free track for over a scale mile. I can see some of my locos loving it. Maude has only hit 118mph (scale)...

Tea and biscuits next!

Regards

Ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #31 on: Apr 01 2020 19:46 »
I took apart the top of the Great North Straight and using a "bent ruler" produced a new curve for the inside track. It did take three attempts - as I had to work farther and farther back along the existing curve before I had a new smooth exit from the Dragstrip to the new straight.

I will confess to not being very happy about the outer curve. This is going to need some work with cut plywood and resin to produce a smooth finish. Due to the fact that I have no blades for my power plane left means that it will be out with the big Record #14 and hack a smooth surface. 

Then it is a lit "tea light" under the tin of adhesive to keep it warm and a big brush...

Regards

Ralph

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #32 on: Apr 01 2020 20:42 »
I had some help earlier on the week, so was able to move the track bases around and they will fit between the trees, just.  About 1.5 inches clearance everywhere which is a tight as I'd like.  Now I know the alignment I can put permanent posts in exactly the right places and then add a couple more posts at the end, and another frame.

But I'm running out of posts.  This area was supposed to have lengths of scaffold pole but I've run out and have to use posh stainless poles which were intended for the more visible area.  And with times as they are I can't just go out and buy a scaffold pole or two.

And I suppose the children's rope ladders will have to go too!

Mike

Offline Peaky 556

« Reply #33 on: Apr 01 2020 21:58 »
Mike, building railways always was a clash between ‘irresistible force’ and ‘immovable objects’.  Occasionally, a little compromise is needed 😁
Thank you,
Tim
Facebook.com/AppleTreeRailway/

Offline cabbage

« Reply #34 on: Apr 03 2020 12:59 »
Looking at the trackbed it appears to be double width. What are you going to use to span the gap?

Regards

Ralph

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #35 on: Apr 03 2020 14:10 »
Almost certainly one of the modern cement boards Ralph - Hardie Backerboard or similar.

Mike

Offline cabbage

« Reply #36 on: Apr 04 2020 11:45 »
As the saying goes "T minus 7 - we have ignition sequence commence". The tin is in the greenhouse , the stacks of cut felt ready.

Regards

Ralph

Offline AshleyW

« Reply #37 on: Apr 04 2020 12:38 »
don't forget the securturs on those brambles! hope we can come run this season, ash

Offline cabbage

« Reply #38 on: Apr 04 2020 13:55 »
After only an hour or so I have completed my task for today!!! I have laid the felt on the icky sticky adhesive and I am now at the point where I have a straight run to the house.

Dan helped me out of my work jacket which had stick to my left wrist after liberal application of brush cleaner  I have hands that have a nice glossy finish...

The tin has been returned to the greenhouse where it will hopefully get hot again. At the start of work it had the thickness of treacle buy the end it was more putty...

Ashley admit it - you are really only there to eat my cakes(!)

Tim will have to "certify" the new trackwork for running - my eyes are getting worse!!!

Regards

Ralph

Offline AshleyW

« Reply #39 on: Apr 04 2020 14:16 »
looking good ralph, my j39 MAY be ready this summer, your track would be an ideal place to try it out, or indeed liase for collection!

Offline AshleyW

« Reply #40 on: Apr 04 2020 16:49 »

i just did the weeding! usually the wife's job, but hey,looks better now.

Offline John Branch

« Reply #41 on: Apr 04 2020 17:10 »
Almost certainly one of the modern cement boards Ralph - Hardie Backerboard or similar.

Mike
Mike, I was not aware of this material.  Having looked it up, it seems quite interesting- how do you support /protect/ fix to it?
John

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #42 on: Apr 04 2020 19:13 »
Others have used it John.  I have plans and ideas only.  It is not easy to cut and needs a diamond blade in the jigsaw.  I believe it takes nails and track pins OK.  But others will be better able to answer that than me.

Mike

Offline Peaky 556

« Reply #43 on: Apr 04 2020 22:13 »
Hello John,
According to the leaflet I have it can be nailed or screwed or bonded with mastic to timber or masonry. There is no mention of drilling pilot holes so the inference is that they are driven straight through into the backing.  As for cutting, their recommended method for minimising dust is to ‘score and snap’.  If using a jigsaw they recommend a blade suitable for ‘fibre cement board’, which may possibly be diamond tipped, I don’t know.  It can also be cut with a circ saw, but special types are used to minimise dust.

I have a pile of 12mm boards bought in a sale, which I shall fasten down onto timber joists at 400mm centres, probably using pilot drilling and screws.  We shall see what success I have, but don’t hold your breath, my ‘to do’ list from my nearest and dearest is growing longer daily!

Regards,
Tim
Thank you,
Tim
Facebook.com/AppleTreeRailway/

Offline yamie1900

« Reply #44 on: Apr 05 2020 09:41 »
Hi Tim i have used both 6mm and 12mm they do a hardie backer screw which screw straight through the board into the battons behind.
 The 6mm is easy cut score and snap,  stanly knife and a good supply of blades the 12mm is a different story i enventualy used a coarse jigsaw blade alot of them. Watch the dust though use a slow speed with the jigsaw the blades last longer. I used the boards in my bathroom. I think Cliff Barker used Marmox board a lot lighter and easier to cut. Marmox is the way i will go next year.