Author Topic: What will YOU be doing for the next 4 months?!  (Read 1835 times)

Offline AshleyW

Re: What will YOU be doing for the next 4 months?!
« Reply #45 on: Apr 05 2020 10:54 »
boards, there's also the chipboard route, medite trioca, is apx £60.00 per sheet, but guaranteed to last 60 years. apar from going green, that in use at parkwood has been good and cuts easy.

Offline LankyTank

• G3 Society Member
  • Old enough to know better, but I don't care.....
« Reply #46 on: Apr 05 2020 11:46 »
Ash,

the Medite product IS NOT chipboard, it's a long life MDF, it's the resin that it is made of that is the long life element.

Just thought I'd better mention that, as someone will come along in the future, read your comment & then think they can use chipboard. Well, they can I suppose, but it'll be akin to setting light to £20 notes for an afternoons entertainment.

Offline cabbage

« Reply #47 on: Apr 05 2020 14:34 »
After four hours... The new trackbed has been covered in ick and felt then stuck to it. Now it is the boring bit of waiting for the solvent to evaporate then it is out with the magic blue rope and marking points.

My eyesight is fading fast and blue things  I can still see at some distance. Otherwise I use the camera on my phone and zoom up and down it.

So, one roll of felt and 5 litres of adhesive later -we await!!!

Regards

Ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #48 on: Apr 07 2020 13:34 »
This is the new track after the morning break. The problem I have is that the new stuff makes the old stuff look like it was  done with a drunken stagger.... I may have to re-lay the old track(!)

Regards

Ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #49 on: Apr 08 2020 13:19 »
End of play for this week! The two closing lengths of track were going to be ordered from Cliff Barker for collection  at the AGM. But I spent the time in ward 411... But I am please to say that the measurements and calculations are well within spec(!)

The EOC for the new inner track is 14 ft 7 ins and the EOC of the outer part of the summer house loop is 8 ft 9 ins. The hardest part of doing all this was having to work everything out in Imperial. I frequently had to "check things over" by repeating the calculation in Metric... I am a native C.G.S thinker.

I suppose it is what I am used to!!!

The first shot shows the end of the inner track for the Great North Straight. Because I am still using the same pair of ick covered jeans to apply the felt with. I have to be careful where I perch... Note the nice growth of Cardoons...

This shows the end of the Dragstrip. The old track  will have to be lifted and straights replacing the curved section to previously existing points there.

Regards

Ralph

Offline Bruce_L

« Reply #50 on: Apr 09 2020 16:40 »
Reference previous post regarding picking up projects that had been shelved:
One of these was to number, letter and weather some 16 tonne coal trucks.
This turned out to be interesting compared with 00 versions, of which I'd done quite a few some time ago.
The colouring, mainly weathering powders (which are easy to remove or adjust if it doesn't come out satisfactorily) have to cover a much bigger area and if you're not careful the colour looks to be covering too much, which is when previous sentence comes into use. Certainly it's often better to be subtle.
I was after rust, so it's mainly orange rust or dark rust, plus some black for coal dust. I've done a range of trucks with hardly any to lots and everything in-between to give variety. The same goes for different on each side. Pic:

I still need to dirty the undercarriage but I've run out of my preferred spray can of Humbrol Olive Drab which is a mixture of mucky grey and a hint of green which comes out pretty well, so I might have to have an important forage out as I'm not sure paint can be transported these days.
Bruce

Offline AshleyW

« Reply #51 on: Apr 09 2020 17:00 »
i got my acid etch primer delivered bruce, so suspect you can order aerosols, ash

Offline cabbage

« Reply #52 on: Apr 10 2020 10:45 »
Now that there can be no more track work until about Tuesday, (postman), I have sat and looked at the sorry state of my three stations... The plastic buildings need  a good once over with a brush and a bucket of suds but that is about all. No, what annoys me is the state of the base boards that the buildings sit on. I have used wooden decking slats and the wood has peeled off the primer and they look very tatty with white, grey and black masonry paint shedding all over the shop!

What I am planning on doing may sound insane but is I think a simple solution. I laminate the top of the baseboards... I use 2mm thick polycarbonate sheet and then it becomes a plastic sheet that I can stick things to and paint with exterior paints to my heart's content.

The newly rebuilt RepRap is printing the new & improved footbridge for the Brassica Station.now that the adhesive has nearly set solid I can sit on the trackbed without gluing my backside to it! So after lunch out with the angle grinder and slice some points in.

Regards

Ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #53 on: Apr 11 2020 13:08 »
The final act of slicing in the new points is to correct the ones that have failed due to "tin pest". I life fairly high up and I do catch the winter chill. I followed the instructions on assembling the Cliff Barker points. But the solder jas far too much Tin on it. The Tin turns to its allotrope of "grey Tin" and crumbles to pieces. Slowly over the course of years this produces a weak and then failed joint. The solution is to hit the joint with a 200W soldering iron and Comsol. This contains Silver but melts at a low temperature. The Tin melts out of the joint before the Comsol even gets soft!!!

Regards

Ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #54 on: Apr 12 2020 14:46 »
Now things can (finally) start to emerge from storage...

Most people know the mimic repeater system has been built but not installed. Some people know of the driver boards system for the repeater. However up until now *very* few people have copped eyes on this lot!!!

This is the mimic repeater.

This is the driver board for the mimic

These are the external drivers for the signals. They are 12V power relays housed in IKEA glys boxes. There are tqelve plus a spare(!)

The home brew system screws to a piece of ply and uses DIN 7 270 plugs and sockets.

I started making all this is 2017 for installation 2018. But my right bicuspid valve disagreed!!! So more things to do.

Keep calm and keep on track!!!

Regards

Ralph