• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

ALTRINCHAM 70'S UNIT

Started by AshleyW, Mar 26 2020 13:40

« previous - next »

AshleyW

ALTRINCHAM UNIT (as per article IN NEXT ISSUE of newsletter)
3 car BR train of the 70s, completely renovated and running with g1 running gear.
well padded made to measure transport box.
with g1 bogies = £1,000. plus carriage.
minus bogies £800.00. plus carriage.
sutton in ashfield. notts and collection desirable / courier poss.
pgh122@hotmail.com can supply vid clips .

AshleyW

another shot of it, better idea, it was bought as gauge one, but buyer learned it was gauge 3 with g1 bogies, ideal for some thing like tgo's latest unit bogie??

AshleyW

phone details 01623 459457

Peaky 556

Quote from: AshleyW on Mar 26 2020 13:44
another shot of it, better idea, it was bought as gauge one, but buyer learned it was gauge 3 with g1 bogies, ideal for some thing like tgo's latest unit bogie??

What's the real life wheelbase Ash, feet and inches?

John Candy

The 1931 MSJA 1500V electric stock (joint LMS/LNER) was of three types (Motor Bke 3rd/Trailer Compo/ Driving trailer 3rd) all of conventional LMS outline but with 58ft over headstocks (LMS norm was 57ft) and built by Metro-Cammell.
Motor bogies, two per MB 3rd, were 8ft 9ins WB and at 38ft 6ins centres.
Standard LMS 57ft all 3rd trailers were added to the stock in 1939.

When I modelled in 4mm, this stock had always been on my "wish list" together with the EM1 and EM2 Woodhead electrics butI never got around to it!

John

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Peaky 556

Quote from: John Candy on Mar 27 2020 10:18
Motor bogies, two per MB 3rd, were 8ft 9ins WB
John
My motor bogies are a little shorter at 8'6", meaning about 3.3mm in Gauge3. Some of you might tolerate that error, others likely not!  Either way I can email a fuller description on request. Pic below.
Regards, Tim (Apple Tree Railway)

John Candy

Tim,
A small error in bogie WB would be the least of worries for anyone looking for a scale model..... the carriages are seriously short of length/compartments.

Below is close-up of the motor bogie.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

AshleyW

i hope who ever does buy this will utilise your bogies tim and yes the model is not scale length, but anyone wanting a quick play without steaming up will be able to have something dashing around their line and no ones counting compartments as they whizz past the daffodils. the guy selling hasn't added much further in his article than you already know, in fact i'll only really be making it an article, to save market place space and also the make the g3 community aware of it's being,so they recognise it when spotted etc. at £800 it's surely got to temp someone, even some of the outdated fossworks radio/battery systems will be worth £200.00 of that amount alone. possibly ideal for those starting out with only an end to end on a few planks?