• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Measuring Sticks, G3 for the use of.

Started by LankyTank, Apr 06 2020 15:40

« previous - next »

cabbage

At 15cm that is a handy size for things around the 10 feet size. Since most of my models sit within a 10 feet sq envelope this makes things easier to mark and measure with.

Regards

Ralph

wolfstone

Hi All,
I  would prefer a longer rule but would support what ever could be provided.
Tim

MikeWilliams

Regrettably, whilst this present restriction is in force, the etchers are not working, so a quote won't be available for a few months.  However, I am still very happy to send the CAD file to anyone who wishes to lead the project.  He can check it over and make any alterations, but if anyone else can find an etcher that's working good luck!

Mike

Spitfire2865

Would it not be worthwhile to make an 18"ish example and then chop it down for those prefering a smaller length?
Or split the etch up into shorter and longer ones and maybe sell as a set? I can see both being useful to me at least. Im sure to others as well.
As most of my stuff ranges from 11-17" an 18" rule would suit me well. But a shorter 6" is much easier to manipulate for smaller parts.
-Trevor Young

IanT

If you can find a thin 500mm rule (or longer if you wish) then reading directly off it in 'mm' and multiplying by 0.074147 (I've rounded it) will give you the full-sized scale feet. Easy to do with the Memory function on most calculators.

Why that number? - lets do it the long way - 1mm x 22.6 (full size in mm) / 25.4 (to inches) / 12 (to feet). So do this calculation, store the result and there you go. Not direct reading but pretty good for most things...

Only thing is - I can't find a 'mm' rule that starts back at 200mm when I get up to 299mm (like my G3 ones does) - and I've grown kind of accustomed to it.   :-)

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

MikeWilliams

Cheeky - I knew there was an error on there somewhere!

Mike

Jon Nazareth

Well, I'll buy one, 12 or 18 inches, if it's thin and matte.

Jon

LankyTank

Is it possible for an owner of one of these elusive beasts to take a photo and post it on here, please. Cos, at the moment, I think I've got more chance of spotting Bigfoot......   ;D LOL

IanT

Couldn't find a Bigfoot - but did find this image from 2009.

I cannot remember the exact where & whys of how I have this - I think it's original artwork that was photographed (maybe by Mike). A bit blurry but it may give you some idea - otherwise I'll take a photo of mine....

Regards,

IanT

Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

MikeWilliams

You can probably see from Ian's picture that the scale rule is on both edges of one side of the rule.  Occasionally useful for measuring into corners where RH or LH help.  The other side of the rule just has full size measurements - MM one edge and Inches the other, with the usual sections for 1/2mm, CM and on the other side some sections with 16th, 1/8th etc.  the idea being that whatever you want should be on there somewhere but the whole of one side is just Gauge 3.

Mike

LankyTank

Thanks, Ian & Mike, now I know what's what, what...!

Mike, did you produce the original artwork or was it a commission job?

Have tried phoning Photo-Etch, no answer, no surprise, no answer machine message? So an email has been fired over, see if anybody is monitoring traffic whilst working from home - had no 'out of office' or bounce back, so I'll just bide my time.

MikeWilliams

I did the artwork Barry, on AutoCAD.  Will be interesting to see what PEC say because it was done in my name, so they shouldn't tell you anything about it, but we'll see!

I ordered some etches from them on 5th Feb and they've not arrived so I am sure they have closed.

Mike