Author Topic: Grrr sleepers....  (Read 1449 times)

Offline cabbage

Re: Grrr sleepers....
« Reply #30 on: Jun 28 2020 11:50 »
The title should now read Grr Paint!!! I have been forced to import from Holland a litre tin of Matte White exterior to paint the poles and bases. This has cost me a tenner. To put it into perspective a 150ml pot of Humbrol Matte White is around £8.50...

The remains will get used up on another project which will involve quite a bit of recycling and making storm proof.

Regards

Ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #31 on: Jul 09 2020 13:05 »
Ok... I have started final assembly of the signal posts. Despite planning everthing went wrong!!! The simple task of joining the four wires plus grounding sheath should have presented no problems. Rather than use standard four core signal cable I used "proper" heavy duty four core control cable.

The melting point of PLA is 200°C. The melting point of 60/40 Savbit is about 210°C... The amount of heat conducted by 5A rated Silver jacketed Copper is enough to "cause problems"... I have begun printing its replacement. The solution was to hang everything in a continuous breeze. The potting compound was as vile as I remember.

The front plate was held in place with rubber bands and the compound set entombing the wiring.

The Red is about right.
The Green looks too blue(?) eventjough the wave number is correct. It could just be me - but my eyesight is getting worse.
The single Yellow is slightly dimmer when compared to the double Yellow.

But they are visible at over 10m(!)

Regards

Ralph

Offline John Branch

« Reply #32 on: Jul 09 2020 17:43 »
I have noticed that some green aspects sometimes look blueish-it happens with road traffic lights as well.  Maybe something to do with the lens layout and  the way the light is refracted, depending on the viewer's relationship with the beam? Or atmospherics?

John

Offline cabbage

« Reply #33 on: Jul 09 2020 18:25 »
Or in my case, a combination of Glaucoma and Macular Degeneration?!?!??! It could also be a voltage contaminant of the led -poor quality leds can produce other frequency multiples and I admit these were cheap even for eBay!!!

regards

ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #34 on: Jul 12 2020 09:08 »
Red light Green light flashing through the dark night pounding through the pouring rain, I gotta see trains!!!

Regards

Ralph

Offline John Branch

« Reply #35 on: Jul 12 2020 09:52 »
Could you post a diagram of your tracks sometime-I see photos of parts of it, a   station here, a junction there, but cannot put it all together. 

Thanks
John

Offline cabbage

« Reply #36 on: Jul 12 2020 10:55 »
As Requested.

regards

ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #37 on: Jul 12 2020 14:49 »
Ok, first signal module has been screwed to the underside of the trackbed. It is based on IBM "Token Ring" technique.
Eack module has a ring in and ring out connection. Each box listens to the preceding one and passes its status onto the next box.

Regards

Ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #38 on: Jul 30 2020 14:46 »
The boxes of Cobolt points motors have arrived and I have to make the last section of base board to connect  the third line to the "drag strip". I "think" I have enough spare timbers to do this, but it will be out with the tape measure tomorrow... The reprap is nearly dying of exhaustion but it is going to have to print covers for the Cobolt motors. But first I have to design them!!!

Regards

Ralph