Author Topic: GRS 16-ton mineral wagon  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Sleeper Agent

Re: GRS 16-ton mineral wagon
« Reply #15 on: Jun 13 2020 18:40 »
Cheers Doddy and Ash. I don't have my air brush kit set up yet nor do I have the necessary SB357 transfers (given that everything else was inclusive I assumed they were as well) so don't expect the model to be fully finished anytime soon :P
Do I see some holes in the plate between the w-irons? These are handy for those wishing to bolt to the floor if they are.
Said holes are indeed there, though with the tight fit of the units I think glue would be quite sufficient unless you foresee a spectacular derailment. Annoying that is is exactly what I did this afternoon as things looked ok but then I realised there is a flaw in the kit! The instructions show narrow W-iron units that are similar to some of Mike's kits but the wider ones provided are designed to fit between the bufferbeam and the moulded ribbing in the central area.

This results is the wheelbase being too wide and now I need to saw a cm or so off the sides closest to the centre area >:( Not thrilled but from the remaining stock figure I know someone else recently bought one of these kit so hopefully you're reading this or have already spotted the issue. No mini axle box springs were provided either from what I can deduce but this would be case of simple human error. Anywho i'll contact the GRS to try and ensure the issue is sorted out before the next batch is produced.

Regards
Steve

Offline AshleyW

« Reply #16 on: Jun 13 2020 19:58 »
yes if they only had 6 then surely they will take heed and have the next batch of w-irons lazer cut to correct spec. the bolts through the floor may not look the part, but with such an expensive wagon, i myself would prefer to bolt them down and in the case of the issue mentioned, gives chance to do such a task, if no already glued into place. does the brake lever ratchet have a decent length spigot through the sole bar?

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #17 on: Jun 22 2020 20:17 »
I hope this is now all sorted put Ashley?

I have some sympathy for manufacturers when a new kit comes out.  I know, it should be tested, tested again and perfect, but sometimes the best laid plans of nice and men ....

We all make mistakes, its what you do about the that matters.

Mike

Offline Doddy

« Reply #18 on: Jun 23 2020 02:54 »
Maybe not yet Mike

Here is the latest link to the GRS 16ton wagon

https://www.grsuk.com/shop/errors/404.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/shop/BR-16T-Mineral-Wagon-Kit-M15541
"You don't know what you don't know"

Offline hornbeam

« Reply #19 on: Jun 24 2020 15:51 »
I spoke to Micheal at GRS about this and other things. The kit is having the issues sorted out and they are also modifying the axle boxes and buffers so they don’t need drilling out- feedback was people were finding this stage hard to do.
He also mentioned feedback had been very positive other than the issues mentioned.

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #20 on: Sep 12 2020 12:16 »
I hope this is now all resolved and the wagon completed?

Mike

Offline AshleyW

« Reply #21 on: Sep 14 2020 18:03 »
was asking G.R.S about it to add to trade news next time , here's the reply.
"Yes, all amended now. The w-irons fret has been trimmed to fit correctly now, the moulding has not been adjusted. We have also had the axle boxes and buffers drilled out to help with assembly."