• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Raising the roof

Started by cabbage, Jun 29 2020 12:22

« previous - next »

cabbage

I did wonder about Ionic Column to the left and right  of the main window - but I think that is too much!

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Well I would have got further but next door decided to light a bonfire... My kitchen is filled with smoke my cheese doorstep is inedible...

But this is as far as I have got. The canopy frame is bolted to the decking, the sheet of Filcris has bonded to the decking and I have started the slow process of making the frame work for the buildings and cladding them.

You can see where the arch will sit and the two blocks of buildings. The suspended signal box will sit on the platform side of the other wall on this platform. (I am not sure if that makes sense?)

Regards

Ralph

Peaky 556

It's wonderful in concept and execution Ralph, but you're not going to leave it out all winter at the mercy of flying fence panels are you 😬

cabbage

Tim,
Relax! It will all come to pieces with the undoing of eight screws. This means that the roof and buildings can be lodged over winter in the greenhouse.

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Having once more delved into the "LMS Lego" SCAD files...

The two buildings that hold up the front of the station are clad with "tiles" printed from them. The main office block has two rows of "window.scad" and two rows of "quoinwall2.scad" the edges will be covered with "quoinedge.scad" and the platform side with "flemmish wall.scad". As a friend said " I see a lot of 3D printing in your future"...

This is test arrangement for measurement.

The slabs take about 3 hours to print and the corners 30 minutes. The machine is going to work hard!!!

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

The machine works while the humans harvest! This is the side of the " south tower" of the station. Such is life the real world dimensions would make it smaller than my living room and shorter than the house! But it looks impressive!

The quoin corners are still being printed and as they are produced I will stick them on the building...

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

As new parts and mods of previous prints come off the reprap, I will upload them to the G3Wiki for people to use.

Currently the machine is printing doors...

I have tried to get paint of the correct hue and "texture" ( I suppose you would call it?). The nearest "Magimix" colour maker is the otherside of the city - so it is back to eBay and my trusty RAL number strips. My set is in German with "hopefully" English translations...

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

The cladding is being printed and stuck to the ply exterior.

This is the parcels and shipping side of the station buildings. It is going to have a Scammel - even if ot kills me! The large blank wall will have a set of steps up it and a door to the signal box on the other side. The two layer quoin strips will seal the wall to the baseboard.

This is the passenger side. Here will be the carpark, taxi rank and bus stop. The station is in NW2 as it has a Routemaster bus and no Tube connection. Possibly as in Fenchurch St it is surrounded by "Category Y" areas...

The next two shots show the interior of the booking hall and left luggage and parcels..

One more tin of paint to arrive - then it is out with the brushes, (Hogs hair - not Nylon).

Regards

Ralph

Doddy

Given your penchant for local ales, will it have a bar? Or do we attend your open days to bring a bottle?
"You don't know what you don't know"

cabbage

St Pancras had an under platform cellar designed to take exact stacked multiples of Burton beer casks... It was later converted to a taxi washing facility. The nearest brewery to me is Derventio - whose products I find a little "thin" for my palate. I much prefer those of Dancing Duck - which are far more malty and stouter. But if anyone has a good advert that I can copy for "Offlers Ales" it will ne well received!

I doubt it will have a bar as it does not have any "facilities", nor I admit do any of the coaches or EMUs!!!

Regards

Ralph

Doddy

Quote from: cabbage on Jul 24 2020 10:19But if anyone has a good advert that I can copy for "Offlers Ales" it will ne well received!
Regards

Ralph

PM Sent, I have sent you the graphics for several signs, various handpump covers and window etching designs from the former George Hotel, Derby.

Should fit in well with the 'cathedral'.

Robert
"You don't know what you don't know"

Ralf
I used to work in the Farringdon area of London and drove past St Pancras every day, there was a sign that advertised taxi hand wash, most people thought it was for taxis only but no true. I had my car cleaned there inside and out £3.00. every week, the only problem was that the platform level was held up by cast iron column's at around 10ft centres, driving around them was very tight.
Happy days

Mike

cabbage

With the wonderful English Summer weather that I have been experiencing there has been nothing I could do - but paint...

Since the building is very Art Nouveau it had to be in a typin A/N colour. The obvious one is Eau de Nil(e). Looking at the paint sheets shows Eau de Nil as anything!!! So I ordered what I thought was a suitable RAL number paint! My first thought was -this is not green! But on drying -it is sort of a green duck egg blue and to be honest I rather like it!!! The stone quoins are going to be a warm stone grey  like Portland. The front is going to be pure white.

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

We have progressed! The walls of the building are now Ral de Nil and the bulk of the stonework has been printed, painted and stuck! At the moment I am building the signal box for the station. J.Candy esq has provided me with bits and bobs to decorate the box with.

The floor and interior wall are setting on the cooker as I type... I have yet to sit down and design the exterior walls and windows. Time for tea and a few biscuits!

Regards

Ralph