• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Cpr has to build carriages..

Started by cabbage, Sep 05 2020 10:07

« previous - next »

cabbage

Does anyone have a current catalogue from Locomotive Design? Could they check if there are any LNER "Teaks" plans available - please

Regards

Ralph

LankyTank

Ralph

Just checked mine, it's about a year old, can't see any teaks listed.

HTH

John Candy

Ralph,
Isinglass will provide their drawings in G3 ..... I have worked on locos from their offerings and they are "adequate"for modelling.
I have seen Locomotive Designs drawings for GNR coaching stock and they were incorrect ..... the "layering", in particular, did not "stack up".
Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

cabbage

John,
Who are Isinglass? The only Isinglass I know of - is added to beer!

Regards

Ralph

John Candy

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

cabbage

Well thats pretty comprehensive! Now to find out which ones I want?

Something with a four wheel bogie and not much over 60',  3rd corridor, and a brake.

Regards

Ralph

Doddy

Quote from: cabbage on Sep 05 2020 12:06

Something with a four wheel bogie and not much over 60',  3rd corridor, and a brake.

Regards

Ralph

???

"You don't know what you don't know"

Doddy

Options Ralph?

• 3rd Class 61' 6" Gresley Tourist open brake 3rd class GN section 152-A 169
  • 3rd Class 61' 6" Gresley Tourist brake 3rd (N.E.A) and Open Brake 3rd (S.S.A.) 153-A 179 308
  • 3rd Class 61' 6" Gresley Corridor brake 3rd class 5 compartments 158-A 37 37a
  • 3rd Class 61' 6" Gresley corridor brake 3rd class open (4 bay) 183-A 191
  • 3rd Class 61' 6" Gresley corridor brake 3rd (3 compartmentsd with end vestiibule) 603-A 301
  • 3rd Class 61' 6" Thompson corridor brake 3rd class (4 compartments) 270-A 343

IanT

Quote from: cabbage on Sep 05 2020 12:06

Regards

Ralph

Well I think "Historic Carriage Drawings - Volume 1 LNER & Constituents" (Nick Campling) would be your friend here Ralph.

How about (ex GNR) Howlden 45ft Bogie stock - would they fit your bill?  Pages 94/95 show the Compo Brake, Compo Lav. & Third Brake.  We have access to modern technology should this be of interest to you!

:-)

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Chris_P

Another work of reference which may help is British Railways Pre-Nationalisation Coaching Stock Volume 1 GWR & LNER  by Hugh Longworth published by Crecy in 2018 which provides a comprehensive list of coaches build details and running numbers.   It includes outline diagrams and references drawings.  I assume the GRS kits were not what you want.

cabbage

I have "GNR and ECM joint stock" to give me ideas. I am rather taken by the articulated 104' sets as these would navigate the corners with ease. Now that the technology has developed I plan to rebuild NER No.13 and have it pull a short rake of teaks. As it stands now No.13 is a good model but a terrible loco...

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Right, I have forked out £40 for the two sets of drawings. I opted for the 103' 4" twin 3rd class and the 103' 4" ordinary twin 3rd class brake. This give me about as much coach as I can put onto my platforms (2.4m).

How they articulate is something I have yet to find out. Is it a simple double pivot or something more interesting?

Regards

Ralph

Doddy

Quote from: cabbage on Sep 11 2020 08:05
Right, I have forked out £40 for the two sets of drawings. I opted for the 103' 4" twin 3rd class and the 103' 4" ordinary twin 3rd class brake. This give me about as much coach as I can put onto my platforms (2.4m).

How they articulate is something I have yet to find out. Is it a simple double pivot or something more interesting?

Regards

Ralph

Well Ralph, this is another lesson into how to ask questions whilst providing vague information.

I presume these are LNER bogies? Length? Bogie Frame Type? Does the supplier of said drawings have the actual articulated bogie drawings in stock?

The LNER Pullman bogies used a central pivot, the GNER suburban stock uses two pins by the looks of the photo.
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_08_2015/post-1730-0-41098600-1440858691_thumb.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/7225/7028945549_b0b70613ea_b.jpg

Nice blog on the single pivot and LNER bogie fabrication

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102547-1951-pullman-scratchbuild-in-132/

Third Class Articulated Restaurant and Kitchen Cars

https://steve-banks.org/images/historical/coaches/lner_rts/sj_rts_r_1500_1000_72.jpg

John Candy

I have a close-up photo and drawing of the arrangement which I will scan and email.
A cup arrangement pivot is midway between the carriage ends.

Regards,
John.

cabbage

John, this looks straight out of the SLM design manual. I am not sure when the Jakobsen bogie was patented - but that looks awfully familiar!!! As I have a few drawings of "pukha" Jakobsens, and formulae, I will use those. But for now; " a mug of tea, a cheese sarnie and plans to read in my orchard"...

Regards

Ralph