• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Paint/transfer dilemma

Started by Jon Nazareth, Oct 20 2020 16:51

« previous - next »

Jon Nazareth

I sprayed this second class coach with a gloss finish in order to make transfer application easier and also sprayed some of the paint onto a test card.  Ordinarily, with wagons, after the application of the transfers, I'd spray on a coat of matt varnish in order to hide the transfer backing.  This works fine on a wagon as they aren't normally seen with a shiny finish.  I masked off part of the card and sprayed it with the matt varnish and the result can be seen.  The colour now looks like red oxide primer and much lighter shade than the original colour.  I'm still waiting for the transfers to arrive so, don't know if spares will be included for me to experiment with.  What do others do when applying transfers to say coach sides, which would have a semi gloss finish, in order to hide the transfer's backing film?

Jon