Author Topic: Jenny Lind  (Read 473 times)

Offline Jon Nazareth

Jenny Lind
« on: Dec 14 2020 17:06 »
I'm going to have a go at building a model based on the Jenny Lind.  My capabilities won't run to a true representation of the original and therefore it wan't have a Jenny Lind nameplate.  I haven't thought of another name, as yet but, I'm sure one will come to mind. 
One thing that I find curious is fixing a 6' driving wheel on such a small diameter, 5/32" axle.  I know that this the standard size for wagon wheels etc but it does seem a little odd.  Has anyone increased the size of hole in the gearbox to allow a larger that 1/4" diameter axle to be fitted?
There are a couple of pictures here showing the prototype and the machined wheels.

Jon

Offline John Candy

Re: Jenny Lind
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14 2020 19:57 »
Jon,
I have two locos fitted with Slaters gearboxes which have been opened up to take 8mm axles.
Using adjustable reamers (rather than attempting to drill) will retain concentricity, but will need to be done in stages, using progressively larger reamers, if the enlargement is substantial.

Here is a reasonably-priced set

https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/SMALL-ADJUSTABLE-REAMER-SET---RANGE-1-4--15-32--468963.html#SID=463

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline Jon Nazareth

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15 2020 12:11 »
John
Thank you for the tip.  I suppose you had to then fit bigger bearings to take the 8mm axles.

Jon

Offline John Candy

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15 2020 16:09 »
I suppose you had to then fit bigger bearings to take the 8mm axles.
The original Slaters product does not have bearing inserts but they can be easily turned from from 1/2 inch hard brass or bronze rod,  if felt necessary.
On a lightweight loco, like Jenny Lind, I wouldn't bother.
Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline Jon Nazareth

« Reply #4 on: Dec 18 2020 09:29 »
John
I can understand that the 5/32" size would be strong enough but, I was thinking from an aesthetic point of view.  The 5/32" axle passes through a 7/8" wheels boss which, to me, would look a little odd.  I was trying to think of a way of increasing/beefing up the 5/32" axle size so that it didn't look so nellie.  Maybe a cap of some description over the end would work.  I'll have to give it some more thought.

Jon