• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Wagons, unfinished locos and maybe more at auction

Started by MikeWilliams, Jan 10 2021 19:34

« previous - next »

MikeWilliams

Hansons of Etwall, Derbyshire have a huge sale of toys and models on 5th February including quite a bit of Gauge 3.  Their catalogue is hard to work out but look around lot number 4100 (yes, four thousand one hundred!).  Some is Gauge 3 but some is Gauge 1 and I have no idea what four LMS coaches described as G Scale can be?

Mike

Andy B

Hi Mike,
Where did you locate the catalogue? Hanson's website says it won't be live until tomorrow, but the lots are showing on the-saleroom.com. They start at 4000 for this auction.

A few clues point to the builder being local to the Erewash model engineer's track which has 2 1/2" gauge - so there is a chance that John Baguley knew the builder and possibly something of the locos.

It's a bit odd mixing G1 & G3 wagons in the same lots. I think the 4 LMS coaches are scratchbuilds - loosely based on suburban stock.
Buyers premium and fees are quite steep at +38%.

Andy

MikeWilliams

I got to them via the saleroom site Andy.  Yes, the premium is high but the estimates are low.  They seem quite a mix with some of the finished engines being spirit fired, but not all that detailed as none seem to have brakes.

Mike

AshleyW

did any of our gauge 3 members buy these items? i had to work and missed the live auction, jubilee sold for £1150, think austerity was £1050.00, netta £640, didn't see what the southern atlantic went for, wagon batches looked to go for around £440.00 , be nice if we see these running at gtg's. ash

Andy B

4069 - Jubilee - £1150
4070 - Austere Ada £1050
4071 - Ayesha £1050
4072 - Rose £660
4073 - Single cyl 0-6-0 £640
4074 - Southern Maid (no tender) £440
4083 - Part built 4-4-0 (Midland Compound?) £130
4096 - 2 vans £280
4097 - 3 Brake Vans £440
4098 - 4 open wagons £500
4099 - 2 G3 opens + 3 G1 opens £190
4109 - Plans, tools, etc £160
All plus a generous buyers' premium.

Andy

AshleyW

all good prices, especially for the wagons. if the boiler pass muster, tehn some one has a good buy, the back heads on the jubilee and austerity looked very neatly made and the engineering looked solid and crisp. be good to see that jubilee double heading with alan's !!

Sleeper Agent

Had to go to work as well but a little to my surprise someone pipped my max bid for the brake vans  :o
I did win the £190 lot for the Midland wagons. The latter were a last min decision but should of properly read the text about the LMS trio with them being 'G Gauge'. Oh well i'll see if they just need re-gauging and new buffer beams or are actually G1 stock, in which case I'll either sell them on or rebuild them into early stubbies.

Steve

AshleyW

well even two finished wagons for that price aint bad, even with fees i suppose. if you sell the gauge one wagons on it will counter balance things, maybe more than half !!

John Baguley

I see that three of the 2½"/G3 locos from this auction have appeared on Ebay today for about double what the auction sale price was. Obviously bought by a dealer. He's also selling one of the G1 locos.

I suppose he's going to have to put a big markup on the prices he paid to cover the cost of the commission fees and the Ebay fees.

John
Member of North West Leicestershire SME
Secretary National 2½" Gauge Association

AshleyW

i suppose the upside, is with ebay, you could return it for certain reasons, or even post lockdown go see it close up, or even ask to test etc.

Andy B

ebay seller is now reducing prices...

Andy