• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Manufacturing Web-Spoked Wheel Inserts

Started by Doddy, Jan 29 2021 13:20

« previous - next »

Doddy

Short of producing a male/female die and pressing thin brass discs into shape I am devoid of ideas - any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance

Robert
"You don't know what you don't know"

John Candy

Perhaps have a pattern machined and use to cast in resin or whitemetal?

You could make a pattern from plastic card.

I am assuming you intend to overlay onto a disc wheel?

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

cabbage

When I was building Rosebud my Krokodil. I used the brass wheel etchings from Mike Williams to turn LNWR wheels into H section spokes. These I stuck onto a few layers of plasticard and cut out the gaps between the brass with a knife... The sandwiches were then glued into the machined cavities of the wheels.

The end result was a 2mm thick wheel back and a 6mm thick insert.

Regards

Ralph

Peaky 556

Doddy, if they are non-structural then get a model created then print them.
If structural then use your print to make a mould for casting in resin.
Regards,

IanT

Maybe try your original idea of a male/female die but using 3D printed dies...???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3IyodZSA70

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

MikeWilliams

Maybe I'm just being dense today but I'm not sure what you mean by a web-spoked wheel.  Are the spokes T section?  A bit like the webs around the crankpin on some GWR loco wheels?

Mike

Doddy

To be honest Mike, I don't know what the correct term for the shape is.

In the picture below the outer side of the wheel insert has curved spokes and the inner sides where the gap is, is more of a set of straight or flat spokes

I think I might have to write a letter or two to Kawasaki and Nankai for help with this one.

Thanks

Robert
"You don't know what you don't know"

Traininvain

If I'm understanding what you're aiming to do, then one rough and ready way if you don't need too many wheels and have a lathe and mill to hand may be to fabricate some webbed inserts/overlays as follows:

- machine a length of brass round in the lathe to the diameter of the webbed piece to be inserted between the wheel tyres
- drill the centre of the round to take the axle
- remove brass round from lathe and mill one of more grooves (as many and as wide as required) across the centre line of the machined and drilled end. The grooves will hold brass flat of suitable size to simulate the pressed bits
- put the round back in the lathe and part off as thin as you can
- repeat as required
- to finish the inserts, fix short lengths of brass flat into the grooves with glue or solder

A bit long winded but just a thought