Author Topic: GWR Armstrong Goods Engine  (Read 254 times)

Offline 753

GWR Armstrong Goods Engine
« on: Jan 31 2021 13:04 »
Continuing my admiration of early GWR engines I am going to build an Armstrong Goods engine, should keep the Covid blues at bay for a few months.
These were the predecessor of the popular Dean Goods. Designed by Joseph Armstrong at Wolverhampton. Quite a simple engine with outside frames and a small 2500gal tender they were the work horse of the system.
I found this excellent video of a 5 in version
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU-hE480h3s

Mike

Offline AshleyW

Re: GWR Armstrong Goods Engine
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31 2021 21:36 »
mr david gregson of chorley driving, superb model.

Offline 753

Re: GWR Armstrong Goods Engine
« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:45 »
The basic chassis of the Armstrong Goods, the frames are made from 1.5 mm steel sheet with 96 rivets per side using a copper snap to put in the rivets and stop the heads from distorting. The axles have squared ends that fit into squared holes in the cranks to assist quartering, and run in sprung brass axle boxes.
The wheels are cut from 6mm ali plate, the steel tyres are heat shrunk onto the wheels, just as full size practice..
The power unit is made up from items found on e-bay, the motor/gearbox that has been mentioned in other projects is rated at 400 rpm and drive through two helical and 2 to 1 spur gears to give an axle speed of 200 rpm at full speed.
The space between the inside frames will be visible so an ideal candidate for working inside motion.

Mike