• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

CLASS 25 ALD MODELS

Started by AshleyW, Mar 10 2021 10:50

« previous - next »

AshleyW

Question:-    What is the Track Spacing?

Answer:-    The distance between two running lines is called 'Track Spacing', and is measured from centre of the track to the centre of the next track, and is as follows:-

For Gauge 1 - Straight running lines 115mm (4.527") minimum, Curved track under 12' 0" radius is 120mm, below 8' 0" it is 125mm. Straight Sidings it is 120mm. If using Narrow Gauge or American stock, an extra 25mm should be added to these measurements.

For Gauge 3- Straight running lines 150mm minimum, Curved track under 14' 0" radius is 155mm, below 9' 0" it is 160mm. Straight Sidings it is 155mm. If using Narrow Gauge or American stock, an extra 30mm should be added to these measurements.

cabbage

Not being brought up in model railway environment I use the "rail to rail" measurement. The CPR is built to the "Berne Loading Gauge". This equates as a 165mm spacing between the rails, giving me roughly 230mm track spacing. Until I lifted and relaid the track last year you could still see the green twine that I used to produce the straights underneath the sleepers...

Although I have a (now) deep aversion to brass kits how much is it?

Regards

Ralph

AshleyW

something has gone awry here and the track spacing was not mean to be pasted.

AshleyW

should read
ALD Models' commitment to developing their gauge 1 models into gauge 3 is highlighted here, with a picture of the main body side etchings in brass, along with other brass components. The cab front/fuel tanks/battery boxes look to be in 3d printed plastic. All very good news for "modern image" enthusiasts.
there's contact details, so please enquire about price. the gauge one class 25 is £750, so you can estimate what it may be.
ash

cabbage

My fingers still bear the scars of putting together the Red Five... I have professional cooks knives and a collection of craft knives and never had a bleed! The brass edges nearly sliced me to the bone.

But having said that I rather like the Janus.

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

So, after having stocked up on micropore... I have ordered the Janus kit minus wheels and motor, neither of which is going to cause any problem with me. This has hit the card for £375 + vat.

Which I think is quite reasonable.

Regards

Ralph

keith Bristol

Ohh.. nice... this going to get interesting... I've just built the 3dprinted rolling stock VEA box van and it was brilliant,.. a25 would be nice

AshleyW

Anyone considering the new ALD Models class 25 kit, may wish to learn about this very informative pictorial book explaining detail differences. Some text included.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Classes-24-25-Diesels-Depth/dp/0711031711

cabbage

This was sent to me yesterday from ALD.

Hopefully on the 17th we can see it running.

Regards

Ralph

keith Bristol

AshleyW

witnessed the prototype today , looks super and with fosworks radio and sound, it really sounds great !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFENTT4XNqU

AshleyW