• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

WANTED - London Transport and British Railways Insulator baseplates.

Started by Doddy, Aug 14 2021 12:50

« previous - next »

Doddy

Being one of four modellers I know of in Gauge 3 who are interested in 3rd (and 4th) rail trains, I have the following laser scan/3D project in hand and want to acquire the following item(s).

1:1 scale London Transport and British Railways Insulator baseplates.   As shown (in yellow) the drawing below.

Many thanks in advance.

Robert
"You don't know what you don't know"

John Branch

Don't forget Doddy, that the actual "Tube" sections of LT lines have a heavyweight rectangular solid section conductor rail with out a flatbottom-style bottom web to avoid excess leakage to the tunnel wall, also some parts of the Central line suffer from slightly oval tunnel sections (due to a rebuilding long, long ago), and a higher 3rd rail height for the same reason.  I guess one needs to at least roughly decide time and place for your model, then see what records are available.
What are you planning to use for conductor rail-LGB?  Once you have the master insulator, do you plan to print or cast the production versions?
All the best with your quest-I guess the LT museum depot will have some real ones, they may be worth approaching for a short-term loan.

Best

John

Doddy

Quote from: John Branch on Aug 14 2021 14:08
I guess one needs to at least roughly decide time and place for your model, then see what records are available.

The provenance of the dimensions I posted have already been authenticated and openly published by a modeller who just happens to be a Network Rail Signalling Designer who works in the southeast on both 3 and 4 rail systems.

I note your comments on varying heights for rails, though, which is why products like these have entered the rail marketplace.

I will take your advice and contact the LT Museum, though!  8)

Robert
"You don't know what you don't know"