Author Topic: WANTED - London Transport and British Railways Insulator baseplates.  (Read 337 times)

Offline Doddy

• G3 Society Member
Being one of four modellers I know of in Gauge 3 who are interested in 3rd (and 4th) rail trains, I have the following laser scan/3D project in hand and want to acquire the following item(s).

1:1 scale London Transport and British Railways Insulator baseplates.   As shown (in yellow) the drawing below.

Many thanks in advance.

Robert
"You don't know what you don't know"

Offline John Branch

• G3 Society Member
Don't forget Doddy, that the actual "Tube" sections of LT lines have a heavyweight rectangular solid section conductor rail with out a flatbottom-style bottom web to avoid excess leakage to the tunnel wall, also some parts of the Central line suffer from slightly oval tunnel sections (due to a rebuilding long, long ago), and a higher 3rd rail height for the same reason.  I guess one needs to at least roughly decide time and place for your model, then see what records are available.
What are you planning to use for conductor rail-LGB?  Once you have the master insulator, do you plan to print or cast the production versions?
All the best with your quest-I guess the LT museum depot will have some real ones, they may be worth approaching for a short-term loan.

Best

John

Offline Doddy

• G3 Society Member
I guess one needs to at least roughly decide time and place for your model, then see what records are available.

The provenance of the dimensions I posted have already been authenticated and openly published by a modeller who just happens to be a Network Rail Signalling Designer who works in the southeast on both 3 and 4 rail systems.

I note your comments on varying heights for rails, though, which is why products like these have entered the rail marketplace.

I will take your advice and contact the LT Museum, though!  8)

Robert
"You don't know what you don't know"