• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Station Road Steam

Started by Alan_H, Oct 29 2021 13:44

« previous - next »

Alan_H

Station road Steam have a set of castings, wheels, chassis, boiler, etc. for a 2 1/2" Chris Barron (Locomotive Design Company) designed 2-4-0 tank loco. It looks to be good value, and described as 17/32" scale - near enough to 13.5mm, without wishing to ignite sensibilities.

However, the wheel casting sizes and chassis dimensions would indicate a scale nearer to 32mm/1 1/4" to the foot, which make it G3 but a two foot prototype, which, coincidentally it is. I know that there is a G3 reference to standard gauge, but the Groudle Glen railway was two foot gauge, which is therefore standard for the line. As the society is a broad church, I'm sure there would be room for it.

Oh no, it's been sold - what have I done........!

Alan

MikeWilliams

If this is the Groundle Glen design that somebody in the N2.5GA was working on a couple of years back its a lovely little engine.  Not strictly Gauge 3, but very nice.

And, incidentally, it is well worth a trip to the island just to see this railway .. maybe that's why I like the model so much!

Mike

Alan_H

Mike,

It is! I was drawn to the fact that it was 63.5mm gauge albeit a scale slightly larger than that of 5" gauge!! It comes in at just over 15" long with 1/2" bore x 3/4" stroke cylinders.

I managed to track down Chris Barron (LDC) with the help of Ian T and a set of drawings will soon be winging their way to me.

Time to dust off the vertical slide and milling cutters methinks, and it's a while since I made a working boiler.

I've watched a few Youtube videos and it's absolutely charming with just a smattering of rural idyll, definitely planning a visit, just need to find a couple of 32mm scale seals for the pond.........

Alan