Author Topic: Station Road Steam  (Read 286 times)

Offline Alan_H

• Forum Group A Member
  • Group A Forum Member
Station Road Steam
« on: Oct 29 2021 13:44 »
Station road Steam have a set of castings, wheels, chassis, boiler, etc. for a 2 1/2" Chris Barron (Locomotive Design Company) designed 2-4-0 tank loco. It looks to be good value, and described as 17/32" scale - near enough to 13.5mm, without wishing to ignite sensibilities.

However, the wheel casting sizes and chassis dimensions would indicate a scale nearer to 32mm/1 1/4" to the foot, which make it G3 but a two foot prototype, which, coincidentally it is. I know that there is a G3 reference to standard gauge, but the Groudle Glen railway was two foot gauge, which is therefore standard for the line. As the society is a broad church, I'm sure there would be room for it.

Oh no, it's been sold - what have I done........!

Alan

Offline MikeWilliams

• G3 Forum Moderator
Re: Station Road Steam
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30 2021 16:38 »
If this is the Groundle Glen design that somebody in the N2.5GA was working on a couple of years back its a lovely little engine.  Not strictly Gauge 3, but very nice.

And, incidentally, it is well worth a trip to the island just to see this railway .. maybe that's why I like the model so much!

Mike

Offline Alan_H

• Forum Group A Member
  • Group A Forum Member
Re: Station Road Steam
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30 2021 18:22 »
Mike,

It is! I was drawn to the fact that it was 63.5mm gauge albeit a scale slightly larger than that of 5" gauge!! It comes in at just over 15" long with 1/2" bore x 3/4" stroke cylinders.

I managed to track down Chris Barron (LDC) with the help of Ian T and a set of drawings will soon be winging their way to me.

Time to dust off the vertical slide and milling cutters methinks, and it's a while since I made a working boiler.

I've watched a few Youtube videos and it's absolutely charming with just a smattering of rural idyll, definitely planning a visit, just need to find a couple of 32mm scale seals for the pond.........

Alan