• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Becoming a manufacturer?

Started by cabbage, May 20 2022 08:42

« previous - next »

cabbage

We all make models, some of us make more parts than they need and store re them, others sell them. Now my "to build" list is starting to look as if what I jokingly call "Glass Hammer Designs" and "Kitchen Sink Engineering" become part and parcel of my railway!?!?!?

I have standardised on three power bogies, the English Electric C0, the Brotish Thompson Houston B0 and the Metropolitan Vickers B0.

My era is 1950 to 1962 and I love Traction. At what point do you turn from a modellwr into a manufacturer (?)

Regards

Ralph

IanT

Quote from: cabbage on May 20 2022 08:42My era is 1950 to 1962 and I love Traction. At what point do you turn from a modeller into a manufacturer (?)

When you have at least two 3D Printers going 24 x 7 and you still can't keep up with demand?  :-)

Good to see you at the AGM yesterday Ralph - that was an impressive display of printed locos. I'm sure they took a long time to print but that they also needed a great deal of your time to design & programme (in SCAD) too.

Well done.

Regards

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

cabbage

Errrr... I have THREE 3D printers, a laser cutter, and a CNC router. One of the 3d printers is on loan to my niece whose daughters have the most wonderful collextion of Barbie pink printed things for their Barbies...

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

I did a line count of the code to make the Tobias print -it came to only 724 lines of code across 17 SCAD description modules.

A short compact project in more ways than one!

Regards

Ralph