• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

GWR Saint Class Loco

Started by 753, Jun 03 2022 14:00

« previous - next »

GWR Saint Class 29xx. Designed by Churchward these elegant engines deserve to be represented in G3.
The chassis have Nylon 3D printed driver wheels, Nick Bains of this parish helped to convert my 2D CAD drawings into .stl files for the printer. The axles run in low profile ball bearings mounted in sprung axle boxes.
The motor/gearbox is rated at 400rpm and drives a 3 to 1 bevel gear set to give a very slow through to elegant speed.
Mike
P1010048S.JPG
Screenshot 2022-05-15 112957S.png 

IanT

Lovely work (as usual) Mike - look forward to seeing your progress.

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

richardgreen

He's at it again! There's just no stopping him, great choice of loco though! Another masterpiece in the making.

Rich.

Nick

I'm delighted to be involved in this project. Adopting modern manufacturing technologies (in this case, 3D printing in hard plastics) can have a big impact on the hobby. For wheel centres we are no longer limited to what is commercially available. If it can be drawn, it can be made and at a sensible price.

Nick

keith Bristol

Thanks for the comments
Further progress on the Saint, the cylinder / smokebox saddle is a muti part fabrication to emulate the full size practice, the crossheads are a five part fabrication.
Mike
P1010133B.JPG

Progress on the Saint, the smokebox, boiler barrel, and firebox are made separate modules. The firebox and barrel bolt together while the barrel plugs into the smokebox. Fitting the firebox and barrel over the splashers take a lot of fettling.

Mike
P1120815A.JPG

John Candy

Making good progress, Mike.
Unlike mine, which is on the back burner .... too many other distractions at present.
Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

The Saint is complete, progress over the last couple of months has been slow due to my wife's illness and then we both had Covid.
I now have G3 examples of engines designed by the GWR's four most influential CME's Gooch, Armstrong, Dean and Churchward.
So, Lady Macbeth is done, as its my birthday tomorrow what better present could you wish for but a G3 Saint.

Mike
P1010395B.jpgP1010399B.jpgP1010401B.jpg   

richardgreen

Stunning workmanship there fella ! Happy Birthday to you and hopefully both of you will get back to full strength very soon!