• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Turnbuckle for carriage underframe

Started by MikeWilliams, Sep 02 2022 22:01

« previous - next »

MikeWilliams

turnbuckle LNWR underframe.jpg I need some dummy turnbuckles for carriage underframes with trussrods.  Being fairly generic, I am hoping somebody supplies these in Gauge 3, 16mm or even out-of-scale Gauge 1.  Anything to save me having to make pattern for casting!

Any suggestions please?

Its the bit right in the centre of this image.

Thanks,  Mike

LankyTank

Gavin Bashford - step forward.

3D printed master, castings? Or go straight to printed brass/metal/stuff.....??

Just a thought.

Baz

Nick

Mike,

If you can create an STL file, then 3D printing is the answer. I know you have doubts about the durability of non-metals, but for a non-working component a hard plastic such as PA-12 nylon will be adequate. Other options are to 3D print a wax from which a casting in brass or similar can be made, or 3D print directly in metal. I'm not sure about recommending the last of those solutions because the cost of printing metals directly has recently increased hugely.

In any of those materials you could then tap RH and LH threads to make it into a working turnbuckle - just for fun, you understand.

Nick

MikeWilliams

Thanks chaps for suggestions.  Its not a difficult pattern to make, I just thought there must be an out-of-scale one from a G1 coach or something 16mm narrow gauge, but it seems not.  Because its simple I might even use it as an introduction (for me) to 3D CAD!

Thanks again.

Mike

Jon Nazareth

Mike
Prime Miniatures has some turn buckles and I have used them in the past.

Jon

MikeWilliams

Thanks Jon.  Its small and its a turnbuckle, but not the type I'm looking for.  Thanks anyway.

Mike

Jon Nazareth

Mike
Do you have a scale drawing(s) apart from the above?

Jon