• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Ash Ballast

Started by Derek King, Mar 26 2009 14:38

« previous - next »

Derek King

Further to the subject on Ballast, can anyone recommend a way of representing Ash Ballast in G3 as favoured by many of the Pre-Group Railways. As this will be for a proposed "small" indoor shunting layout I don't need to worry about cats!, though others may be interested to know what could be used outside too.

Regards,

Derek.

John Candy

Derek,

I have been away for a week so have only just read your message.
A few years ago I came across a recipe for 'Rowlands Mix' on an E-group site run by the 16mm NG brigade.
I saved the messages since it sounded like a useful mix.
It involves sand, cement and ash (or sifted peat as an alternative) in varying proportions, according to preference. It is laid dry and sprayed to cure the mix. The advantages claimed include that it can be used to bury sleepers flush with the surface, is strong enough to withstand weather and hold the track in position and, if used outdoors, promotes the growth of moss.

If it is of interest, I will post more details in the Members' section of the website.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Derek King

John,

Thanks for your 'recipe', certainly sounds like the ideal method if I ever venture into the Garden. But, as a 'railway modeller' up-sizing from 0-Gauge, my plan is to build a small(?) semi-portable scenic "Shunting Puzzle" layout and therefore I'm looking for something a bit lighter than sand & cement.

In the absence of any other ideas, after a trip to York MRS, I plan to investigate the use of "Green Scene's" 7mm Black Ash, bulked up with small scale granite ballast. If this is successful on the wagon display shelf I'm building I will report back to the Forum.

Regards,

Derek.