Author Topic: Wheels 18in diameter  (Read 1200 times)

Offline MikeWilliams

Wheels 18in diameter
« on: September 01, 2010, 08:52:24 AM »
I would like to make a Platelayer's trolley, maybe as a short run kit if there is interest, but mainly just for fun and lineside cameo.  However, it needs spidery 5-spoke wheels just 18in diameter.  Any ideas, please?  The wheels were one piece cast iron with very thin T section spokes and an equally thin rim and no separate tyre, but that's asking a lot and just the right size and preferably right number of spokes would be great.

Plan B is to etch the spokes and solder into home-turned tyres, but that diverts time from making other things!

I had wondered about the old Nucro or Jackson 7mm scale coarse scale brass (later aluminium) wagon wheels, but they seem to have disappeared.

Mike

Offline John Candy

Re: Wheels 18in diameter
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 09:05:52 AM »
Have you looked at Coopercraft?
They do slate wagons, etc. in 16mm scale. but not sure of wheel size also Cambrian Models.
Brandbright do curly spoked wheels in 24.5mm (a bit larger than 18ins).

John.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 09:07:33 AM by John Candy »
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 10:25:51 AM »
John, you are a gem!  Cambrian appear to do just the job: right size and right number of spokes.  Not sure what the profile is like but I'll order a set and find out.  At the end of the day it won't be hurtling around a garden line anyway!

Thank you,

Mike

Offline midnight miller

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 07:20:54 PM »
Hello Mike

Send me a drawing please , I have just done a master with curved spokes for some one .

John

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 12:06:12 PM »
Thanks John.  I can dig out a drawing at home, but the spokes are straight and T shaped in section - flat face at rear and rib down the front.  Its only a silly lineside thing really, probably not even worth making it run, but I guess may as well do so.

Mike