• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Crankpins

Started by MikeWilliams, Oct 21 2010 15:54

« previous - next »

MikeWilliams

Please does anyone know a supplier of crankpins for Gauge 3?

I have some of Slaters', but wonder whether they are a tad small for live steam.  Since every engine requires at least four, surely there must be a commercial manufacturer in our scale?

Thanks,

Mike

Note : Originally posted on the restricted "Venture Project" discussion board, this has been moved to the "open" forum.

Kalinowski

Hello Mike,
Not that I know of for live steam. Yer makes yer own because each engine may require a design that is not "common" and it all depends on the following factors:

There are two main types of crank pins:
-  press in types that are made to fit the hole that is drilled in the wheel casting often with a 5/32 pin end and a 1/4 inch working end.
- screw in types with a 5BA pin end and a 1/4 inch working end.

Also the means of coupling rod retention at the end of the pin can be a screw threaded nut - 5BA or smaller. some may even use a prototype pin to hold the retention nut.

If you are using scale section coupling rods the pins will be "short", however if you are making people haulers with heavier section coupling rods the pins will be "longer" and of "thicker" diameter.

In terms of the material that they are made from, some folk use mild steel other prefer stainless, silver steel or nickel silver.

If the pins are for an outside cylinder engine you need three types for an 0-6-0 - a recessed pin at the front to clear the cylinder block, a long pin in the centre to accommodate the connecting rod and, lastly a short pin at the rear.

You should see the crank pins on the Bluebells Atlantic Project - a bit too big for G3 !!!
Peter

MikeWilliams

Thanks Peter,

I know live steam people often like to make as much as possible themselves, but I'm surprised these common things have not been batch-made by somebody - N2.5GA, Roundhouse, Cousins .....

I'll take another look at the Slaters ones which are steel and may be adequate.

Mike