Author Topic: turned steel buffer heads  (Read 2211 times)

Offline midnight miller

turned steel buffer heads
« on: September 18, 2010, 10:11:05 PM »
Hello All

I am after some turned steel or nickel silver buffers with heads 3/4 dia and 5/16 dia shank . Does any one know of anything off the shelf ?

John

Offline IanT

Re: turned steel buffer heads
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 12:11:40 PM »
Hi John,

I'm not aware of any 'finished' buffers in this size - the ones I've seen are smaller (for wagon stock generally).

If you need to make some however there are (I guess) three routes available to you. Some people will just turn them from the solid - this works but does take time. The second method is to part off a cylinder, silver solder the shank in and then turn both down to finished size. This also takes time but saves on material.

However I would suggest that for this size you should consider using 'Coach' bolts. These have a smooth shank with a rounded head and a square section (on the shank under the head). I've just had a quick look in my "miscellaneous bolt box" and whilst I don't have a suitable metric bolt to measure, I did find a 3.5" x 3/8th one. The shank on this bolt is 9.2mm and the head is 23mm diameter (against the 7.9mm x 19.05mm required). There will be a metric version that fits your need I'm sure (M10?)

The method I use is to drill a centre in the 'screwed' end of the bolt and then (gripping the head in the 3-jaw) you can support the bolt with the tailstock and thin down the shank and the 'square' to the required size and length required. I then saw off the un-turned part of the shank and gripping the shank-end in the chuck you can turn the head to diameter and thickness. A file used carefully will shape the face of the head enough to look right. Sounds complicated but they really don't take long to do if you get a bolt near enough to the required size.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

IanT   
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline midnight miller

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 12:20:19 AM »
Thanks Ian and All

Just being bone idle and trying to get out of doing it my self . Whilst on with silly questions do we have a reccommended overall frame width , If we have please could it go in with the wheel and track standards . Other wise I will knock a bit off the back to back

John

Offline IanT

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 09:45:17 AM »
Not as such John, as there are a number of factors that will influence this width.

For instance, how are the axles held in the frames and how much (if at all) do the axleboxes extend out from the frames? Also, on some larger engines, some axle "play" may be desirable (0-8-0 for instance) unless flanges are removed on the inner wheel set(s). The frames may also have to be made wider (or narrower) in parts to accomodate the boiler/firebox and bogie/pony trucks.

However, if we assume that the design is fairly straighforward, then I would take the distance between the inside wheel hubs (which may not be the same as the 'back to back' measurement (depends how they have been turned), subtract twice the distance an axle box extends out from the frame and then a further very small clearance.

If you are modelling against a prototypical GA drawing (General Arrangement) then you can normally use the original frame width (as designed) and simply back engineer the other dimensions. The thickness of frame material used will of course only effect the width of the internal 'spacers' used.

Hope this helps (at least a little bit!).

Regards,

IanT

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 10:34:13 AM »
I would not dare to suggest a standard dimension, but understand that as a rule of thumb, Mike Pavie uses 49mm.  That is a lot less than scale of course and I offer no comment on whether or not it should be adopted.

Mike

Offline IanT

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 12:45:11 PM »
Well of course, I guess it depends on how Mike makes his other components.

As a quick check, I've just looked at the locos I have to hand and they are as follows;

1) L&Y 'Pug' (electric) - 53.5mm
2) Flying Scotsman (coal) - 54.5mm
3) GNR Atlantic (coal) - 54.5mm
4) Bonds Atlantic (coal) - 54mm

And from interest I've also looked at what LBSC used on his 'Dyak' (I've the drawings) and it's 1" 15/16ths frame spacers with 3/64th thick frames, which equals 2 1/8th. This is 53.975mm.

So if I had to state a "standard" for frame width John, it would be in the area of 54mm based on this quick survey.

Regards,

IanT

Offline midnight miller

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 08:14:20 PM »
Thanks Everyone

My bodgeing so far has given me 53.5 mm , Which I think that I am going to stick with for now . The loco is hopefully going to be an 0-6-0 Avonside B3 . Only slightly larger than a coal waggon .

John

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 08:21:37 PM »
Apologies - I thought you said distance between frames, but I see you said distance over frames.  49mm plus 2mm frames each side equals 53mm, so we are not far out!

Mike