• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Track on e-bay

Started by MikeWilliams, Oct 07 2010 15:57

« previous - next »

MikeWilliams

Maybe this should be in the e-bay section of the forum, but I'm just interested what the rail fixings shown here are.  They're not really chairs, more like flat-bottom, but I don't recognise them?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRACK-POINTS-garden-gauge3-64mm-standard-/330478753161?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4cf2119589

or

Seach under "TRACK & POINTS garden gauge3? 64mm standard"

Mike

keith Bristol

Hi

the track is GRS points and trackwork

Regards

keith

MikeWilliams

Thanks Keith.  I didn't realise they did metal chairs for use with wooden sleepers.

Mike

MikeWilliams

I've noticed a couple of respondants say they model modern-ish era, so would there be much interest in flatbottom rail and scale soleplates with Pandrol clips?

Mike

keith Bristol

i must admit i prefer 1960 plus...... must ring Grs about teh 25

Ted Sadler

I must say that my opinion of GRS track has gone up considerably since I purchased some second-hand from Dick Allan and proceeded to lay it side-by-side with Peco Streamline 45mm G scale track on my layout. It looks chunkier than the narrow gauge stuff, as it should, but not overly so. The moulded chairs are nondescript but en masse, the track looks good.

GRS points have wooden sleepers with the rails held in place by spikes soldered to the brass rail over small metal baseplates. I stained the wood dark brown with spirit-based dye to approximately the same colour as the plastic sleepers on plain track. I then painted the rail sides rust colour (Precision Paints) and lastly the spike/baseplate combinations with SR wagon brown, which again nearly matches the plastic sleepers. You have to look hard to distinguish between chairs of the points and the plain track now, and I expect it to look even better when ballasted.

The frogs in GRS points have a base layer in the vee of the frog, which supports wheel treads as that pass over, avoiding a 'dip'. Again, this is not really conspicuous when painted. My unsprung Rickett coal wagon and LSWR brake van pass quite nicely over them.

Photos will follow of the line under construction if anyone is interested.

Regards, Ted