• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Ted Sadler's Guide to Good G3 Photography.

Started by John Candy, Nov 27 2010 22:07

« previous - next »

John Candy

Following my suggestion in a recent message thread that perhaps a board devoted to photography might be a good idea (my self-interest being to secure more and better images for the website!), Ted has kindly submitted an article and several images to illustrate the techniques which he describes.

I have produced a downloadable PDF file which will be found at
http://www.gauge3.info/downloads/docs/teds_photos_web.pdf

The file is 1.52MB and is well worth having just for the photos, even if you have no intention of taking up photography.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Steve Cook

Great article Ted  :) Some really good information and some cracking shots to finish, well worth a read.

Steve

andrewfoster

Good article - thanks! I need all the help I can get.

Andrew

Technocrat

I just found the post, & the article is very good.
I just wonder why I had not thought of some of these things myself. ::)

Chris_P

An interesting thread title led me to look and clearly the guide is well recommended but sadly the link no longer works. Just wonder if anybody could post the pdf the link refers to?

Thanks

IanT

OK, I guess this file has been mislaid somewhere along the way Chris.

I'll look into it and see if it can be found. Please give me a day or two.

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

I have not read Ted Sadler's article, I used to be a professional photographer back in the days that meant getting your hands wet!
Now everybody is a photographer (or someone who takes snaps) there is a difference. Without going into the depths of how to, there is one very good tip that will improve your photographs, that is use a reflector to push light back into your subject.
In the case of shooting a picture of a loco have a piece of A4 white paper or card and lay it down in front of the subject and you will see it get brighter, you can also angle the card and prop it up with anything handy.
Get you eye in line with the lens and play with the card to get the best position, simples.

Mike

John Candy

Ian,
I have it on my backup server..... it is a file I produced during the time I was G3S webmaster.
It is currently in the G3 Wiki at 

http://www.gauge3.info/downloads/docs/teds_photos_web.pdf

Regards,
John.

P.S. Ted's other major contribution concerned P.O. wagon lettering and is at
http://gauge3.info/downloads/docs/kitsandconversions/wagons/Tedsadler1.pdf
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

IanT

Hi John, Thank you.

That wagon building PDF is still available on the G3S website in the 'downloads' section - see article 40 "A Steadier Hand than Mine"

https://www.gauge3.org.uk/downloads-available-to-members

I thought Chris was referring to a more general Photography guide that I think Ted wrote but maybe I am getting confused. I will check with Ted. However, whist that particular file is still downloadable, I do seem to have an issue with its actual site location which I will not detail here but need to dig further into.

I'm planning to do a fairly major site update soon, as there are a few 'flow' issues that need attention as well as the general content needing updating and improvement. Been busy moving to 3D CAD & printing though and trying to get my head around all this new stuff has been quite enough most evenings.

Regards,

IanT 

IanT

Sorry John, missed your last post.

Yes, that's the one I originally thought was being referred to. I will get it up on the G3S site (as a quick fix) this evening but I do need to do some fairly large site restructuring before too long - which will most certainly effect many 'old' internal links to the site. For housekeeping & analytical reasons, I'm planning to change the navigation and content quite deeply (as soon as I've finished my Solid Edge efforts!)    :-)

Regards,

IanT

IanT

Thanks to John, this document is now (re)available on the G3S Website.

It can be found here on the 'Newsletter & Download' page (as Document TS1 - Tips & Techniques)

https://www.gauge3.org.uk/downloads-available-to-members

Regards,

IanT

Chris_P

Thank you for your help with this.