Author Topic: GRS GWR Dean Goods : Nice Model...pity about the Kit!  (Read 29774 times)

Offline Traininvain

Offline hornbeam

Re: GRS GWR Dean Goods : Nice Model...pity about the Kit!
« Reply #61 on: Jan 25 2020 17:42 »
Hi John,

I’ve just purchased a built one of these that needs a lot of rebuilding but they price was right. On mine the centre axle on the tender is fixed and will result in derailments. Looking at this the centre of ours was on a brass tube? Does it just float? The bearings in mine are pressed in so suspect these are wrong as well.

Thanks

Simon.

Offline John Candy

« Reply #62 on: Jan 25 2020 18:27 »
Hi Simon,
The method I used to spring the centre axle of all my GRS tender kits is shown in my article on the LMS 4F at

http://gauge3.info/downloads/docs/kitsandconversions/locomotives/LMS_4F.pdf

It works well and involves making an additional brass spacer to hold the spring units which are made from turned brass (you could use rod or tube as alternatives).
I wouldn't recommend just letting the axles "slop around" in elongated slots since Slaters wheels are not very heavy and could "ride up" the rails.

Regards,
John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline hornbeam

« Reply #63 on: Jan 25 2020 18:46 »
Thanks John most useful.

Offline Alan_H

« Reply #64 on: Jun 04 2021 21:10 »
John,

In spite of the issues I have recently (a week) purchased one of these kits. I am surprised to see laminated N/S coupling rods still in place, together with the penny pinching hand rail knobs, previously mentioned. However, that pales into insignificance when, having raised the lack of loco hornblocks in the kit, the response was that 'I've spoken to Michael and he says that like the 2021 kit they aren't needed'.

I am now in a dilemma, the loco cannot be built without them, unless rubber coupling rods are supplied and erratic running is acceptable, or, as has been hinted at in previous posts, it is not fit for purpose and is a Trading Standards issue?

Sorry for hijacking the post John, but did your kit have hornblocks? GRSUK have advised me that they ca

n supply them at £5.00 each - why not make the kit £1130.00 and include them?

Offline John Candy

« Reply #65 on: Jun 04 2021 23:41 »
Alan,
If you purchased your kit from GRS as being "new", then it raises a couple of issues.
Firstly, the coupling rods: When the second batch of kits was issued, GRS announced they had been "improved", including steel coupling rods. So, where are your steel rods?
Have you been sold an old kit, which has somehow been taken back into stock?

A year or so ago, I received a GWR kit for the 48XX/14XX 0-4-2T , which came straight from GRS via a friend. The kit had the parts for the updated version of the kit (resin boiler, instead of brass tube) but the instructions were from the old (all brass) kit and the Slaters wheelsets were corroded, even though still sealed in their packets. It did not look like a "new" kit. My suspicions were that it may have been a previously sold item, taken back into stock, more so, since the 48XX kit had been "out of stock" for several months previously.

Regarding the Dean Goods, I certainly didn't buy separate hornblocks and following is copied and pasted from the GRS construction DVD which came with the kit:

Take a wheelset and locate into the middle horn guide of the frames using the brass hornblocks. Make certain the cranks are quartered with the right hand side leading.

To suggest that they are not required is ridiculous and, if they are not supplied FoC, I suggest you  reject the goods, as not fit for purpose.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline Alan_H

« Reply #66 on: Jun 05 2021 08:26 »
John,

It should be a brand new kit as I had to wait for etchings for what I presume is the latest batch as the loco was out of stock for quite a while. A further forage through the box has revealed that split pins are still offered as handrail knobs, the coupling rods are n/s etched and there is no DVD with the kit!

I am intrigued by the reference in the 'instructions' that "The boiler has been etched for the larger of the two sets of washout plugs", if you want to fit the smaller ones you have to fill the holes and drill for the small ones - not rocket-science but, would it have made more sense to etch for the small ones and drill out if the larger ones are used?

The further instruction "Next seam solder the pre-rolled boiler", as there is nothing to suggest that the boiler is rolled by the builder, is this an omission or par for the course?

I have a call booked for Monday morning to discuss the issues.......

Best regards

Alan

Offline John Candy

« Reply #67 on: Jun 05 2021 09:21 »
Alan,

If they say they don't have any of the steel rods for the Dean, point out that the 57xx/8750 kit has the same wheelbase and those will do.

Now, there is an issue with the 57XX/8750 kit rods in that they should be the "fishbelly" type but are not.
However, the Dean Goods had both fishbelly and parallel (fluted) rods fitted (mine is one which had fluted parallel rods).
I took the 57XX (plain) rods (GRS SOLD me a set for around 15GBP)and I overlaid/soldered the etched fluted rods from the Dean kit.

The boiler was supplied ready-rolled (I suspect that is the meaning the instructions intend to convey).

Regarding the DVD, it is no big deal to run-off a copy but if they make it an issue (and you decide to keep the kit), then I will mail you my copy, since I have no further use for it.

Regards,
John.

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #68 on: Jun 05 2021 09:52 »
I know nothing about GWR engines, nor GRS kits.  But are those cast brass hornguides/springs as nice as they look?

Mike

Offline Alan_H

« Reply #69 on: Jun 06 2021 09:41 »
Mike,

They certainly are - the Curate's egg!

Best regards

Alan

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #70 on: Jun 07 2021 23:06 »
I have a call booked for Monday morning to discuss the issues.......
UNQUOTE

Well, .... ?

To give them a chance, anyone can make a mistake, even me (ask my wife!) but its what they do about it that matters.  Hopefully all is now corrected?

Mike