• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Stored Power Systems

Started by Cabbage, Jul 29 2011 08:35

« previous - next »

cabbage

Where do I begin?

It has become blindingly obvious that members of the the G3S do not understand or realise what they are "playing" with.

Just as there is a required boiler test and recognised good practice documents around I now feel that it is time to produce a code of assembly document for stored power locos. Many of you may think "oh its just a battery" -wrong....

This is a simple guide:

http://www.cabbagepatchrailway.co.uk/mls/g3/batteries.pdf

The next step would be to ask all builders to use suitable wire for their locos.

http://www.cabbagepatchrailway.co.uk/mls/g3/eu_cable.pdf

Just because a battery looks small and common -it MUST be safe -don't you believe it....

If I take a NiMH of 1 Amp Hour capacity then the energy locked into it is 1.2 x 1 x 60 x 60 Watts = 4.320 Kilo Watts

The average domestic shower system is normally around 8KW and I doubt anyone would want to be around one of those that your average teenager had put together. But we give the teenagers 14.4V "race packs" which have discharge rates in the tens of amps -but it is "OK" because it is only a battery....

I think it is time for some rules, regs and education in stored power systems before someone gets hurt.

R.Brades B.Ed B.Sc M.Sc M.I.A.A.P. Ph.D

John Candy

Ralph,

Let's put this into perspective.

1) Following the manufacturer's recommendations as to use and charging is unlikely to be unsafe (except in exceptional circumstances).
2) If their advice and or products were "unsound" then they would be likely faced with a "class" action by the dozens, hundreds or thousands of people injured by defective equipment/advice.
3) They would soon be out of business since their Product Liability premium would go through the roof!
4) How many cases of NiMH 1.2v batteries exploding (or of persons being electrocuted or injured by such batteries) have there been in the past 5 years?

I have better things to do than trade blows with you over this .... if someone else wants to take up the cudgel they are welcome but this is my final post on this subject

Incidentally, you were the one complaining (only a few weeks and months ago) about "taking all the fun" out of G3 by introducing rules and regulations and by seeking to incorporate.

Regards,
John.

P.S. IMHO, not half as dangerous as amateur engineers playing around with home-made gas turbines!!!
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

cabbage

John,

You confuse legalistics with safety.

I will NEVER compromise on safety.

And as to being an Amateur Engineer -it took me 5 years to do my Masters Degree in Intermeadiate Ancillory Allied Power -or did you think that M.I.A.A.P. meant nothing?

John Candy

Ralph,

<quote>And as to being an Amateur Engineer -it took me 5 years to do my Masters Degree in Intermeadiate Ancillory Allied Power -or did you think that M.I.A.A.P. meant nothing? </quote>

I was merely taking you at your word!
See......
http://lakes-pages.com/gauge3.co.uk/G3Forum/index.php?topic=22.msg59#msg59

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.