• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Viper 10 ESC ... anyone using?

Started by John Candy, Aug 29 2011 13:09

« previous - next »

John Candy

Simon,
A few days ago I went through the box, identified the steam-related parts and got as far as preparing a list as below.
Have not decided whether to offer on Ebay as a "bundle" (or list separately) but would need to do a bit more research on prices before setting an auction listing price.
The only item which GRS has ever listed as an individual component is the "steam motor" which was 225GBP in the 2007 price list (it is not included in the current price list).
The current price differential between the complete GRS kits for the electric and steam versions is 398GBP which (after deducting the cost of the electric motor unit and other cab detailing parts not included in the steam kit .... approx.100 GBP) suggests that the cost of the steam-related parts is around 500GBP.
I am open to offers but may ultimately decide to keep the parts and use for a scratch-build at some time in the future.

Boiler (Finescale serial No. FS 0411/8) + Safety Valve+Steam Regulator Valve
Steam Pressure gauge + siphon connection
Geared Steam Motor (factory-fitted with Slaters G64 driving axle)
Lubricator (with bottom drain)
Gas tank (Finescale serial No. FS 0411/1)
Gas burner
Gas regulator (in the form of a loco brake standard) plus plumbing.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

bolingbroke

Hi guys,
I know this post is now out of sequence but I thought I would add my bit on Cliff Barker's controls. My N5 runs beautifully. Slow running is very smooth with the wheels barely rotating. The single button function for 'halt' brings the train to a very gradual ( and I am told, programmable) stop. The 'Resume' button restarts the train equally gradually. Much easier and more controllable than my other conventional RC locos.

Regards,
Roger.

blagdon

Roger,
I agree with you concerning the Cliff Barker Controller. 2031 runs beautifully on it, although I have yet to try the 'Holt' and 'Resume' buttons, preferring to use 'Reverse' to slow her down.

Ian the Gauge '3' Pirate

MEL 41

Roger and Ian, have you found the shunting function yet?

If you press HALT, then STOP (on recently supplied handsets you don't have to do this), then R (assuming the loco was previously moving forward) and RESUME, the loco will automatically change direction and return to the previous speed setting.

keith Bristol

john

Just a thought my steam 2021 was running on futaba rc equipment with the receiver connected directly to the futabo servo to control direction....

keith

bolingbroke

Hi Mel,
Have not tried the shunting sequence. Many thanks. I am just off to have a go.
Regards,
Roger.

MEL 41

You'll be playing with it all day Roger LOL.

bolingbroke

Hi Mel,
You were right, I did use the function all day. Four button presses, a good 5-10 second delay between reversing to do coupling/uncoupling - so simple -so useful. At the risk of going slightly off thread, Mark Precious kindly gave me help for 5 days to lay 40 ft of base board in a difficult part of the garden. This allowed me to lay 120 ft of track over the last two days.

I use the N5 and a B set coach for track testing. Despite my best efforts, the second hand track sometimes has a mind of its own. Using the shunt function on Cliff Barker's controller allowed me to run the train repeatedly back and forth over problematical bits of track with virtually hands free control.

Thank you. I would never have discovered the function on my own. This forum and its contributors are an invaluable hep.

Regards,
Roger.