Author Topic: Goods Wagons.  (Read 1230 times)

Offline 492

• G3 Society Member
Goods Wagons.
« on: October 20, 2011, 01:04:52 PM »
I am in the process of building a new railway, and am hoping to locate some rolling stock, especially goods wagons. I prefer these to be of wood or/and metal construction, and not plastic. As I need several and therefore the cost is important I would be grateful if anyone has some items for sale.

Alternatively I have considered the Brandbright open wagon kits, but these are now only supplied without wheelsets. Is there a direct replacement set that can be purchased separately?

Thanks for reading this. The railway under construction is near Chelmsford and is additional to my existing narrow gauge line. Its trackbed of about 300 feet (route "mileage") is now complete and we are about to start constructing the track, which like my NG line is of welded steel.

Robert Miller. Member No. 492

Offline Andy B

• G3 Venturer
Re: Goods Wagons.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 01:18:12 PM »
Hi Robert,

Slaters wheels should fit fine - they have 4mm journals, the same as Brandbright.
At present they only do spoked wheels (with solid or split spokes).
GRS do a 3-hole disc wheel (turned from steel bar with an insulating bush) with the same size journals, so these should be fine too.

Regards,

Andy

Offline MikeWilliams

• G3 Forum Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 06:23:07 PM »
There are usually a few wagons for sale at the Society's AGM in february.  They vary in quality and detail, but are usually inexpensive.  It will be at Sandy - not THAT far from you.

Welded steel track?  Interesting.  What provision do you make for expansion?

Mike

Offline Ted Sadler

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 07:16:05 PM »
Funny thing about track expansion. I have laid lots of GRS brass rail and Cliff Barker stainless steel since last year, earnestly allowing small gaps at rail joints. However, between the highs of summer (occasionally over 30 degrees) and the depths of winter (minus 10 at one point), I'm blowed if I could see any noticeable difference in the gap sizes. Sigh.

Ted

Offline hornbeam

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 08:11:53 PM »
Brandbright are not producing this kit I'm afraid. Out of interest why do u want wood kits? Oh and welcome to the forum.

Offline keith Bristol

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 08:17:07 PM »
Hi and welcome

I must admit I have never seen any noticeable change in track gaps duet expansion, my belief if physics suggests that it is unlikely that it doesn't occur but I have never had a problem

Keith

Offline 492

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 01:15:02 PM »
Thanks for replies and advice.

Re track expansion, I already run an extensive narrow gauge railway with steel welded track, with expansion joints every few yards. (Track made originally by Sandy Fraser and latterly my brother, the railway's CME)  Have had no trouble from expansion, but as the standard gauge line will have heavier and faster traffic, care will be taken to increase nr. of expansion joints.

Offline 492

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 03:16:43 PM »
Further to my last entry, have just 'phoned Brandbright who have confirmed that they have no further G3 open wagon kits, just a few bodies without castings. Looks as though I will have to wait for the AGM.

Offline MikeWilliams

• G3 Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 08:27:20 PM »
 ... or source suitable castings from elsewhere.  Now who do I know who makes castings for wagon parts . . . !

Mike

Offline 492

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 10:10:49 PM »
Thanks Mike. I need to have a chat with you.

Robert.