Author Topic: LMS Period 3 coaches  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Traininvain

LMS Period 3 coaches
« on: Nov 15 2011 10:47 »
Forum members may be familiar with Finescale Locomotive Company – http://www.finescale-locomotive.co.uk/ – which for a number of years has produced high quality carriages for Gauge 1, typically at around £800 to £900 each.

Well, some of the people associated with that company, who include Brian Badger, have set up a new but completely separate venture which plans to launch a range of hi-spec G3 carriages. The new venture, Custom Carriages – http://www.customcarriages.co.uk/ – will initially be offering three LMS P3 coaches:

1. Corridor Brake 3rd Diag 1905, built 1934-6 (57ft)
2. Corridor 3rd Diag 1899, built 1933-9 (57ft)
3. Corridor Composite Diag 1898, built 1934 (60ft)

The reason for producing these models is their wide useage – they were built in large numbers, ran all over the LMS and other systems in many different types of train, and lasted well into BR days. The plan, I understand, is to have an assembled and painted prototype on display at the G3 AGM on 18 February.

While the carriages – or at least more than one – may be beyond the wallets of many members (me for one), it has to be a great day for G3 when a small, quality supplier such as this decides to take the financial risk in what is, after all, such a niche scale.

I’m certainly looking forward to see what it is that you will get for your money!

Ian
« Last Edit: Nov 21 2011 17:58 by Traininvain »

Offline MikeWilliams

Re: LMS Period 3 coaches
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27 2020 18:48 »
Just stumbled across this, Ian's post from nine years ago!

With hindsight, and with the Kingscale Duchess being available, and with Kingscale's BR carriages having sold well, it is a great shame that this venture didn't get off the ground.  The price quoted, for a hand built, complete carriage finished to a very high standard and with a detailed interior, now seems quite reasonable!

And, unlike the Kingscale BR Open Seconds, you can make a complete train with multiples of these three types.

Mike

Offline AshleyW

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27 2020 19:07 »
i believe one of our members at the time of the kingscale duchess was trying to persuade kingscale to make some lms 57' coaches and i think they were half tempted. perhaps "that" company who make the collett coaches for grs may do some ??  i looked at the website recently and could no longer see any mention of g3 or only available via grs any more ?? 

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #3 on: Jun 28 2020 11:26 »
Well, now I am confused.  I thought GRS developed and produced the GWR Collett coaches themselves?

But the group who made the one off LMS Period 3 coach are working on another Gauge 3 project, I have been told, so there is hope that they may yet become a G3 manufacturer.

Mike

Offline John Candy

« Reply #4 on: Jun 28 2020 19:02 »

Just looked and the page with G3 LMS stock is still there but not obvious (it is on a page "What's New" .... hardly appropriate after this length of time and the page content has not changed since I last looked, several years ago.

https://www.customcarriages.co.uk/what-s-new/

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.