• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Signal boxes

Started by MikeWilliams, Dec 21 2011 11:52

« previous - next »

Eddy Williams

The signal box is based on a mixture of gwr boxes, inspiration taken from toddington, Buckfastleigh, blue anchor crossing ect,  It could do with some vents on the roof, something i will think about adding in future.

Doddy

Hello Eddy,

You can also add the following locations . . .

• Drump Lane (Redruth Cornwall)
  • Astrop (Kings Sutton nr Banbury)
  • Cranwell (East Somerset Railway)
  • Malvern Wells

And there I was expecting you say it was a copy of the RATIO signal box.  :-[

Either way, the technique you have developed for 'interlocking fingers' works really well on your models.  ;D
"You don't know what you don't know"

Eddy Williams

Yes the interlocking fingers works ok, they need to be grouted tho, to fill in any gaps and to make them stronger, easily done with chemical metal or tile groute, i scrape it on then rub it off with a wet cloth, makes for a neat finish.
What would be really nice is a lever frame of sorts, not really sure the best way to go about doing this, the question being, static or the ability to be converted to working, or sorts, i quite like the idea of having the levers on my own box moving in relation to signals and points, even if its just for display purposes

cabbage

GEM (as sold by MSE) used to make a white metal "gang of four" frame with brass strip levers. Simple interlocking I did using HGs system.

Regards

Ralph

Eddy

I think the etching process could produce a set of leavers and slotted curved base for your boxes, that could be sold an an accessory

Mike

Eddy Williams

Sounfs good mike, i think brass would be an ideal material to use, i will look into this in a few weeks or so, i have a house move coming up.. Railway has been dismantled and stored, hopefully i will be able to transplant the oval pretty much, so once i have got the workshop set up again, i will have some time to look into this lever frame

IanT

Wouldn't laser cut parts (in mild steel) be a good alternative for working levers/frames?

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Eddy Williams

Yes ian, it has crossed my mind, a simple laser cut lever with handle in either thick brass or steel could work well, and the base 3d printed with some threaded rod to slot more levers together, which i can print myself.
I think a trip down south to a preserved railway to measure up some gwr levers might be an idea this summer,

IanT

A Scalefour Society member has implemented a sophisticated (interlocked) lever frame using Scalefour Society levers and MERG CBUS components. The levers are available as a 5-lever kit for £26 apparently - see here (which also has a link to the S4S Public Shop...) - which sounds very good value...

http://www.blockpostsoftware.co.uk/L_frame.html

The MSE (Wizard) 7-lever frame is £63 and from what I recall is well made but it would be good to see the two side by side to compare them for size, robustness and 'elegance' etc

BTW Eddy - I'm very sure I have drawings for a number of original lever frames somewhere, if I dig into my old MEs & MRJs - I think they both did articles on the original manufactured items together with scale drawings... 

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.