• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Signal boxes

Started by MikeWilliams, Dec 21 2011 11:52

« previous - next »

MikeWilliams

I noticed in British Railway Modelling for November a review of a Midland Railway signalbox kit by "York Modelmaking and Display Limited".  It is 4mm, but looks to be nicely engineered with a laser cut plywood carcass and cut plasticard overlays.  I am no expert on the Midland, but it looks so nice that I wondered about asking them to up-scale it to Gauge 3.

However, it is 4mm and costs £84, plus £9.50 for the staircase (its no good without), £15 for the toilet block, and £14 for the glazing kit.  Scaling up would increase the cutting time by a factor of at least 4 (could be more for the thicker materials), which would make it a very expensive kit.  It woud also need some re-design to strengthen some parts - notably the walkways.

I concluded that was too much for me, but has anyone else come across a suitable building kit in the smaller scales which lends itself to up-scaling like this?

Mike

Traininvain

I have been talking to them about a possible G3 version of the MR box. More about this in March G3 Newsletter.

Ian

blagdon

I think if I still 'did' 4mm, I would stick to the old Airfix 'Oakham'. Over one hundred pounds for a signal box seems an aweful lot of money!
The biggest problem in trying to scratch-build a signal I have found is the windows, however it's ammazing to see the variety of window styles used by pre-group companies.

Ian the Gauge '3' Pirate

midnight miller

Hello All

Any one wanting phot's or basic measurements of surviving signal boxes W.Yorks / South Leeds area drop the Wife a line and get her to have a look .

John

MikeWilliams

Ian - I didn't see it in the March Newsletter, though I do frequently forget even interesting things these days!  Is it still on the cards?

Mike

hornbeam

Noticed walsall model ind are bring one out.

Peaky 556

In anticipation of getting a resin moulded signal box before too long, I'm looking for a supplier of levers.  Any suggestions please?
Oh, and just so that I know, how many levers are normally used for a real double-slip?  Our model ones use four sliding bits I think, so does this really translate into four levers full size? 🤔
Thanks, Tim

Andy B

Hi Tim,
Double slips have 2 sets each of 4 switch rails, where each set has a common tie bar - so only 2 levers needed for the actual turnout operation.
Any additional levers would be for locks - the use of which would depend on the location of the slip.
I'd need to consult my copies of 'British Railway Track' for further details.

Andy

wolfstone

I understand "Kippo" kippomodelsuk.com are working on a signalbox  at present.

Tim

Peaky 556

That's correct Tim, I'm hoping to get one! Ive seen pictures and the prototype build looks great. I'll let Eddie say more if he wishes.
Regards, Tim

MikeWilliams

Scale Rail were very happy to enlarge a 7mm signalbox to G3 for me and it worked well.  I suspect several of the laser cut wood firms would be happy to do so, especially if you take it "as seen" with no warranty, just in case something doesn't fit perfectly as a result of the enlargement.

Mike

Eddy Williams

I have for sale a resin kit for a Gwr box, 
£75 for the kit, there is a floor but no lever frame,
You will find it on ebay
, search for kippo models signal box,
Its a metal filled resin construction.

Doddy

Rather nice - where was the prototypes location?
"You don't know what you don't know"

MikeWilliams

Very nice Eddy.